What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samsung Rumoured to be Supplying Display Panels for iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
samsung.JPG

The Korea Herald is reporting that Samsung may be asked by Apple to supply liquid-crystal display panels for the iPad 2. According to the paper’s sources, Samsung is currently in negotiations with Apple to supply its LCD screens. The paper goes on to say that Apple is also rumoured to be interested in using Samsung’s Super Plane to Line Switching (PLS) displays, which are designed to deliver more and improved viewing angles. Super PLS displays were first unveiled by Samsung in November last year, with their target market stated as being smartphones and tablet PCs.

“Although Samsung is performing well in the smart device market with its Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab, it was probably difficult to ignore Apple’s strong influence in the market,†a source told the Korean Herald. “Samsung did supply a large amount in the semiconductor field to Apple, but it did lag a little behind in displays, which is why becoming the main LCD panel supplier for the iPad 2 would have an impact.â€

When asked about the matter, spokesmen from both Apple and Samsung refused to comment.

Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110209000831, via 9to5Mac

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LG made the panels for the first iPads....and I think Samsung may have made some as well.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at you making me all excited from the title. You went and made me think that the screens were going to be Super AMOLED Plus there for a second.

Most reactions

Latest posts