What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most iPad Mini Screens Made by LG, Not Samsung

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

The more entrenched Apple and Samsung become in the courtroom, the more you get the feeling that Apple is trying to find ways to not have to rely on Samsung so much to build its products anymore. According to a report in DigiTimes today, as noted by BGR, it is LG Display, not Samsung, that is responsible for supplying the majority of screens for the iPad mini. However, despite LG having the lion’s share of Apple’s business in this respect, BGR writes that it would seem that there are still other companies that are also producing the mini tablet’s screens for Apple, with a recent iPad mini teardown revealing that Samsung is still making display panels for Apple, although not in such large quantities. BGR notes that AU Optronics has also been rumoured to be supplying displays for the iPad mini. This practice of not keeping all their supply eggs in one basket, so to speak, is standard production practice for Apple, as it never likes to be too dependent on a single manufacturer.

Source: Apple iPad mini display: LG said to be providing majority of panels | BGR

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frankly, I think Samsung makes better screens than LG. I hope I'm wrong on that score.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Frankly, I think Samsung makes better screens than LG. I hope I'm wrong on that score.

Well, the screen isn't a strength of the mini anyways so I'm not surprised.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the screen isn't a strength of the mini anyways so I'm not surprised.

Actually, the screen on the mini is nice...the colors are good...and mine is very uniform.

I compared it against a 1920 by 1200 resolution screen on my Asus Infinity Pad, and the colors, uniformity, and lack of bleed clearly show the quality of the mini's screen (not that the screen of the Infinity is bad, but it just isn't up to Apple standards). The fact that it is lower resolution doesn't make it poor or not a strength, IMO....it's just not retina. And that's another point, had apple put a retina screen in this device, it would be a high-quality one.

Most reactions

Latest posts