What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saddleback Leather Case

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these. They're expensive but look great and smell better :) Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
"All of our products are fully warranted against all defects in materials and workmanship for 100 years. If you or one of your descendants should have a problem, send it back to me or one of my descendants"

*lol* I love that...would buy one this instantly if they gave me a 100 year warranty on my iPad 2 too (or at least on the form factor).

Last edited:
OP
L

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one and like it more and more every day. I was worried that it might be too thick or too heavy. It's not. It's a great case with a lot of protection. I recommend it to all. I liked it so much I bought a matching brief case.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
I have one and like it more and more every day. I was worried that it might be too thick or too heavy. It's not. It's a great case with a lot of protection. I recommend it to all. I liked it so much I bought a matching brief case.
So I have the Sena Florence now and I like the leather (even if no comparison to the saddleback).

If I decide to send it back (for other reasons) and go for the saddleback I need some questions answered, because I dont want to return another case:

- The case is pure leather? No cardboard to stabilize front cover I assume and same material on both sides!
- Important: The website shows the standing position, which is fine. But how about a typing position? Are the straps hard enough to support that position?
- How much do you need to fiddle to get the thing open? I usually woulndt even care about a means of "locking" the case.
- How about the screen? The case looks like it is very close to the visible area, doesnt it hinder view or finger movement?
- Does the leather sit tight on the front? For the Sena, it doesnt (yet) and dirt goes under it (and to remove you either need to take the ipad out all the time or lift and thus bend up the leather again.
- With no magnetic on/off feature and the button covered, how responsive is the button through the leather?

Thanks!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kukulcan said:
The case is pure leather? No cardboard to stabilize front cover I assume and same material on both sides!

Not sure what you mean by 'pure leather', but I know that Saddleback use the best grade leather commercially available for their products. Read this page -- http://www.saddlebackleather.com/18-why-saddleback-leather-is-better

Inserts and liners don't infer anything: for example, Oberon Design also use the same high-grade hide for their iPad leather folios, but they also include inserts in their liner pockets to give the cover more rigidity. (Many users, including myself, actually remove them.)

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
Kukulcan said:
The case is pure leather? No cardboard to stabilize front cover I assume and same material on both sides!

Not sure what you mean by 'pure leather', but I know that Saddleback use the best grade leather commercially available for their products. Read this page -- Why Saddleback Leather Is Better - Guide to Buying Leather

I do not question the quality of their leather, I just assumed they dont use any cardboard if they give 100yrs warranty. I am no native speaker, so what I meant was "made only of leather".

I asked for the inside of the front cover because if used in typing position most non leather materials on the inside are a dirt magnet. I dont care if my stuff get's dirty and looked used over time, but this dirt gets transferred to the screen everytime the case is closed.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kukulcan said:
I do not question the quality of their leather, I just assumed they dont use any cardboard if they give 100yrs warranty. I am no native speaker, so what I meant was "made only of leather".

Sure - I wanted to clarify your question. As the link shows, there are many kinds of leather from top-grade hides to el cheapo leather-synthetic composites which barely qualify as 'leather'. Even a product made with 90% polyurethane leather and 10% full-grain hide can be described, legally, as 'made with genuine leather'... which unsuspecting buyers can and do get ripped off.

I'm not a user of Saddleback (just don't like their designs) - but as a longtime leather user, they do make quality products and are worth the cost, if you like their stuff.

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
I love the look and I love to buy really great leather goods.

But I just saw a video and there is nearly no support for a typing position and that is the way I use a case 90% of the time...to bad :(

darkvisje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is very good quality leather maybe i should order one for myself :D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love leather! The same applies to leather saddles, bridles, you get what you pay for!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I love leather! The same applies to leather saddles, bridles, you get what you pay for!

That's not always true and what I've been trying to warn people about: because there are so many grades of leather, and many synthetic or mid-grade leathers are indistinguishable from a top-quality leather to most people, unscrupulous vendors can and do get away with false or misleading advertising about their leather products, and more importantly, the exorbitant prices they charge for inferior materials/workmanship.

It's a bit like saying that grain-fed gourmet wagyu beef and supermarket homebrand dog food are both made, technically speaking, from 'genuine cow', but they inhabit totally opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of quality, if not edibility. The point to remember is: an expensive leather product is not always the best quality materials - but the best quality products are rarely if ever cheap.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
That's not always true and what I've been trying to warn people about: because there are so many grades of leather, and many synthetic or mid-grade leathers are indistinguishable from a top-quality leather to most people, unscrupulous vendors can and do get away with false or misleading advertising about their leather products, and more importantly, the exorbitant prices they charge for inferior materials/workmanship.

It's a bit like saying that both grain-fed wagyu beef and supermarket homebrand dog food are both made, technically speaking, from 'genuine cow', but they inhabit totally opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of quality, if not edibility. The point to remember is: an expensive leather product is not always the best quality materials - but the best quality products are rarely if ever cheap.

Fair point! The best thing about horse gear is, you can actually see the difference but when online sometimes it looks better than it really is!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts