What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restricted Network 3G

mj100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased Ipad 2 in Dubai with AT&T sim card. I reside in South Africa and have just inserted the local network Vodacom micro sim. Under Settings/Cellular Data it finds the network but says restricted network. How do I overcome this and get connected here in South Africa? Tks

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
mj100 said:
Hi, I just purchased Ipad 2 in Dubai with AT&T sim card. I reside in South Africa and have just inserted the local network Vodacom micro sim. Under Settings/Cellular Data it finds the network but says restricted network. How do I overcome this and get connected here in South Africa? Tks

The iPad is probably locked to the AT&T network, if that really is the case, then you will need to call AT&T to unlock the iPad, unfortunately, you may need to pay them to do this

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think this means that your account has not yet been authorised by Vodacom - it often takes a time for the account to be activated. You'll either need to wait a while, or contact Vodacom to get them to expedite it.

Tim

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try calling Vodacom? Not sure if the iPad has baseband issues with iPads outside SA as iPhones has.

I could not get a 3G iPad 2 when I was buying (there was a global shortage at the time)... So I ended up getting the Wifi iPad 2 from Sandton and bought a MyWi device which gives me 3G over a Wifi hotspot anywhere I go (awesome thing is I can use 5 other devices to connect to the MyWi device)

One more thing, I think Vodacom and MTN is very over priced with their bandwidth, Cell C appears to be the fastest and cheapest Internet in South Africa currently...

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

Last edited:

theWomanSpace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops said:
Did you try calling Vodacom? Not sure if the iPad has baseband issues with iPads outside SA as iPhones has.

I could not get a 3G iPad 2 when I was buying (there was a global shortage at the time)... So I ended up getting the Wifi iPad 2 from Sandton and bought a MyWi device which gives me 3G over a Wifi hotspot anywhere I go (awesome thing is I can use 5 other devices to connect to the MyWi device)

One more thing, I think Vodacom and MTN is very over priced with their bandwidth, Cell C appears to be the fastest and cheapest Internet in South Africa currently...

Thanks, I'll do as you have suggested. Like the MyWi idea, though and will also check out Whooooosh! Rates.

Sent from my iPad using my toes LOL!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have an account with them? If you've only recently set it up, it can take a while before it's authorised. You might need to wait a day or two. If not, contact your service provider and ask them to expedite the authorisation.

Tim

wearnek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help with Mifi

Hi. Please could you tell how you set up your Mifi. I have the Hame Mifi A8 with a Vodacom card. I can connect to the Mifi on my IPAD but do not know how get get the Mifi to connect to Vodacom.

Most reactions

Latest posts