What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restrict iPad from connecting to software repository?

jessehurlburt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello-

I manage about 70 iPads in a corporate setting where they are used as meeting calendars, mounted outside each conference room. They use EWS to pull down the calendaring data and we use an app called Kiosk Pro to display the info. When we originally configured these we locked down the sub-net so these iPads could not communicate to Apple's servers becuase we didn't want them to prompt us to update the iOS software. They tested perfectly on 5.0, so we have kept them there. One issue we ran into was they couldn't reach the NTP server to keep their time synchronized, so our Security group recently opened up that access and they are now synching their clocks correctly. The issue we see now is all of the iPads are prompting for an iOS update which we want to prevent.

What is the best way to allow access to time.apple.com, but restrict them from connecting to apple software respoistory?

REALLY appreciate any guidance you might provide!! :)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jessehurlburt said:
Hello-

I manage about 70 iPads in a corporate setting where they are used as meeting calendars, mounted outside each conference room. They use EWS to pull down the calendaring data and we use an app called Kiosk Pro to display the info. When we originally configured these we locked down the sub-net so these iPads could not communicate to Apple's servers becuase we didn't want them to prompt us to update the iOS software. They tested perfectly on 5.0, so we have kept them there. One issue we ran into was they couldn't reach the NTP server to keep their time synchronized, so our Security group recently opened up that access and they are now synching their clocks correctly. The issue we see now is all of the iPads are prompting for an iOS update which we want to prevent.

What is the best way to allow access to time.apple.com, but restrict them from connecting to apple software respoistory?

REALLY appreciate any guidance you might provide!! :)

Settings/general/restrictions/installing apps/OFF
Settings/general/restrictions/iTunes/OFF

Should result in removal of both the ITunes and App Store icons from the springboard.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok....I'm not sure so am back again....

If you are asking how to suppress the software update feature I fear you cannot, at least not without jail breaking the iPad then there are a variety of ways to accomplish it. Tweaks, removing startup daemons, etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts