What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restrict access to Kids

jaysrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem and I am looking out for solutions.

I have an Ipad 3 and my daughter who is 9 years old also has an ipad. I notice that she installs a large number of games on the ipad. My original intent in buying the ipad to let her use educational apps such as Khan Academy videos and other such relevant material. However, she spends lot of time playing games on ipad and no time on educational apps. I am sure every parent faces the same problem :eek: I am already familiar with 'Restrictions' on Ipad settings. But that does not control third-party apps which is my source of the problem.

1. Is there any app that allows only acces to games for a say 1 hour a day?
2. Is there app that allows the child to play games only after she spends an hour watching a video on Khan Academy?
3. What third-party application that you know of, whether it is desktop, mobile or ipad app that has great interface to restrict access to kids on a computing device?

Thank you all in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be a feature that comes ready installed on every nine-year-old!

I have found that the only surefire way to prevent this phenomenon is to confiscate the iDevices and take the kids out to engage in non-electronic pursuits. All the pleading and promises that they will only hit educational websites etc. come to nothing when your back is turned. Every kid that visits my house brings an iPod Touch, and has access to my wifi. Within ten minutes, they neither know nor care where they are, so long as there is a "healthy" supply of adversaries or allies involved in whichever game they are playing. The only time I hear from any of them is when they need plugging in for a recharge!

Ipads and iPods are great babysitters, but I think sometimes we, as adults, have to step up to the plate and provide the alternatives. Close supervision is the key when the kids are using their electronics, as the temptation to switch apps is always there.

I feel your pain, and don't have any other suggestions beyond your local sports arena/swimming pool.

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you change the iTunes password, so she can't download any more. I don't think there is such an app but you can monitor her time on the iPad. Buy a timer and set it for an hour, when it dings time for thenipad to be turned off.

Good Luck!

OP
J

jaysrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs, guys.

It sounds like there is no app to do something basic. May be it is time for me to develop this myself :)

Anybody has any ideas as to what features this app should have? I have some ideas myself but just to see what other think.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 6 has a feature which will allow you to set the iPad to access only one program, and disable the Home button to prevent going to another program. This might be something useful.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to restrict the downloading of apps,follow these directions.
Go to Settings>General>Restrictions,then enter your restrictions password.

image-1845588364.jpg

image-1248821133.jpg

image-2439792942.jpgIt is now impossible to download any apps unless you have access to the restrictions password and re-enable app downloads.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
Yes it does, but it may be a workaround until the OP develops his app ;)

I suppose a workable solution if the parents can afford it is to have two iPads,one with the games on it and the Game time limit for parents app installed and a second one with the educational apps and downloading of new apps disabled.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding of "Guided Access" in iOS 6 from today's keynote seems to be something that will enable you to do this. It specifically mentions also limiting access to the iPad in a classroom setting, or to limit what a user in general can do on it. Now if they only had separate user IDs as well!

spaghetti head

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't have a solution for limiting apps yet (we're working on it), but if you need a parental control for the iPhone/iPad, check out FREE McGruff SafeGuard.

McGruff "Take A Bite Out of Crime" is known in the USA for family safety since 1979.

They also have a Windows Parental Control system (Parental control software helps parents monitor kids online activity)
McGruff SafeGuard released a Child Safe Browser app that is a look-alike for Safari, but provides a parent with full control of the categories of websites that can be visited.

It also provides a summary of activity to the parent via email.

Check out Free Parental-Control Browser Internet Filter for iPhone and iPad
and McGruff SafeGuard Browser for iPhone, iPad, iPod/Touch - YouTube

Thanks for this info, my grandson just got an iPod Touch, and I can see future problems arising because of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts