What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Search Engines from iPad 5th Generation

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As you know, iPad 5th Generation offers Google, Bing, Yahoo and DuckDuckGo as Search Engines. I would like to keep DuckDuckGo (and Safari) and get rid of the rest. Is this possible?

If so, could you please tell me how, or better, send me a link so I can work it out myself?

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While you can choose which search engine is the default from the offered list you can’t delete the unwanted search engines. To change the default search engine go to Settings>Safari>Search Engine and select your choice from the list.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57, Thank you for your answer. The reason I posted is because with some apps, I select DuckDuckGo as default, then the next time I login, the search engine has been changed, e.g. to Google. I’d like to put a stop to this, and I thought getting rid of Google and the rest except DDG would solve this issue.

Actually, I asked the wrong question. My real concern is the browsers- there’s Safari, Chrome and Google. I always only use Safari, so I’d like the others deleted. Is this possible? As I said before, please send me a link *if* you have any handy telling me how to do this. I don’t want to take *your* valuable time on a long, typed answer.

Thanks for your time and patience with me, scifan57!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS doesn’t currently allow you to delete stock browsers but with the beta version of iOS 14 being released today there’s the possibility that that could change.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. You can delete any browser except Safari, which you wish to keep anyway. I wouldn't use Chrome on a bet, but sometimes Firefox displays sites properly when Safari fails.

b. If I change the default search engine in Settings/Safari/Search Engine to DDG, it seems to stick across Safari launches and iPad sleep/wake cycles. What are you doing to make it revert to Google?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In app browsers don’t always use the default search engine. If the app itself does not have a setting to change the default, then your stuck with it. Most apps will let you open pages in Safari instead of in-app by using the Share Sheet. This is often less convenient, but will always use Safari’s default settings.

Some apps have a setting that will let you choose between opening sites in-app, or opening in Safari. Worth looking into.

You can generally tell if you are in an in-app browser when instead of the usual Safari tools, you have simplified tools and a “Done” item at the top. If you do go from Safari to an app, there will usually be small back arrow and the app’s name in the top left corner. You can use this to quickly go back to the app you came from.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are you doing to make it revert to Google?

I’m *not* doing anything to make the App revert to Google. It’s that I configure the Settings in my emails and DuckDuckGo, but they don’t stay the way I set them. DDG, I always set DDG as default, and the next time I open DDG, it’s been changed to Safari. I toggle on 2FA in my email, and the next time I login, 2FA has been toggled off.

I just want to configure my apps to my liking and have them stay that way!

At this point, I don’t know why these apps don’t stay as I set them, nor do I know how to remedy the situation so that they do.

Anyone, please?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m no longer sure what you are doing, and where. Just a reminder, the Duck Duck Go app has nothing to do with settings in Safari. You have to set Duck Duck Go as the default search engine in Settings > Safari. It should not change.

It is not currently possible to set Duck Duck Go’s browser as the default. This app is completely separate from Safari, and has no impact on the use of the Duck Duck Go search engine in Safari.

Whenever you open a website from any other app, it will use Safari. There are a few exceptions, but the ability to choose an alternate browser is individual to those apps, and the only browser I’ve seen offered as an alternate is Chrome. Most of Googles apps and a few others (like from Readdle) offer this. Mail always opens in Safari, as do all of Apple’s native apps.

The Future: Looks like iPadOS 14 will be offering the ability to set default email and web browses. Don’t expect all browsers to be immediately available for this option. They will have to apply for it and go through vetting before Apple lets them work as defaults. Mostly to make sure they will supply all the system functionality you’re used to Safari providing (I’d guess).

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet, apologies if my post wasn’t clear. I *do* proof read them for logic before posting.

That said, thanks for your reply! I’ve read it repeatedly, it’s a bit deep for me, but I believe I get it! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts