What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote desktop

Mzhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop works when your on another network but for Windows PC's only. I tried it while on my mobile hotspot and it worked well.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop is only for local, same network connections, correct?

Yes and no. If your desktop is running W7, they now have support for a service where you log in and it will be able to track it so you can access from anywhere.

If you do not have W7, or don't want to use that, you still can get access from outside your home network (work is probably a no go as you need to modify the firewall, and most businesses are not so big on that ;)

First - get a dynamic dns service (do a search on dynamic dns). I use dyndns.org. Works great. You'll get a domain name to use

Then, in your local firewall you have to setup port forwarding. I believe the default ports that splashtop uses is 6873-6875. Set the firewall to forward those ports to the desktop with splashtop. I imagine if you have more than one, you can setup different ports for each, but I only have the one machine so haven't tested it.

It works perfectly fine, although takes a bit of work if you've never done it before.

Keytapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm on a Mac. I've got VNC loaded which gets me connected at work. I just can't connect to my desktop at home for some reason. Thought maybe Splash would do it for me. I'll keep tryin'

Most reactions