What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejected by server

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi There,

Lately I have been having an intermittent problem with sending mail from the Mail app on my iPad. When I click on send it comes back saying that it has been "rejected by the server". I know it is not the email address or the connection, because I then copy the whole email and go to my gmail account and send it from there. This is not happening all the time only sometimes.
Is there some setting that I might have accidentally changed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stag

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi There,

Lately I have been having an intermittent problem with sending mail from the Mail app on my iPad. When I click on send it comes back saying that it has been "rejected by the server". I know it is not the email address or the connection, because I then copy the whole email and go to my gmail account and send it from there. This is not happening all the time only sometimes.
Is there some setting that I might have accidentally changed?

Hi Stag - your complaint is not uncommon - happens to me on my iPad & MBPro using the Yahoo mail servers - first some more information: 1) What iPad do you own (assume iPad Air from the forum chosen to post); 2) What iOS is installed (be specific, current one is 8.3); and 3) What mail clients do you have set up on your device (e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, or others) - if you have multiple email accounts, is one or all having the same problem?

Checkout this Apple Support Article which includes some of my initial suggestions - did a screen capture below - first, 'Reset' your iPad using the ON-OFF & HOME buttons pressed simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release and allow the device to reboot. Also, power recycle your modem/router, i.e. turn off the power (usually pulling the plugs).

If not useful, then look at the other suggestions in the link - finally, No. 5 below is often recommended here - let us know if any of these comments are useful - good luck

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 6.09.06 PM.png

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for getting back to me.

Yes it is an iPad Air and I have also Reset several times but it changes nothing. All my Gmail accounts all work, its just my work accounts and these are all Pop accounts. I get the same problem if I use my Hotspot or WiFi at home or anywhere there is a free connection. Whats annoying is that I dont always get this problem, just sometimes.

I have not tried the last No5 troubleshooting step as I am a bit reluctant in case I have problems connecting again, but I think I will have to try it soon as I am getting fed up with this.

I was a little surprised to hear you say that you have this problem with your MBPro as I was thinking the problem was only an iPad issue.

Thanks again I will keep trying and let you know what if anything works.

Stag

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes it is an iPad Air and I have also Reset several times but it changes nothing. All my Gmail accounts all work, its just my work accounts and these are all Pop accounts. I get the same problem if I use my Hotspot or WiFi at home or anywhere there is a free connection. Whats annoying is that I dont always get this problem, just sometimes.

Hi again Stag - POP accounts can be problematic, but of course this is your incoming server protocol vs. SMTP the outgoing one from your device - POP accounts when you own multiple devices may be the issue - not sure if you want to change to IMAP - let us know your concerns.

I have not tried the last No5 troubleshooting step as I am a bit reluctant in case I have problems connecting again, but I think I will have to try it soon as I am getting fed up with this.

Well, since you now have told us that the accounts giving you issues are POPs, then your mail may only be present on your device, depending on how the account is setup on the client provider - years ago when I used POP, there was the option to keep the mail on the server and also DL a copy, although other clients used would offer only DLs - so you might want to visit the problem websites to better understand your options.

I was a little surprised to hear you say that you have this problem with your MBPro as I was thinking the problem was only an iPad issue.

I believe the issue w/ my mail is multi-factorial if I can pick that term - I use Yahoo and their SMTP server can be a pain @ times w/ intermittent outages (and has been discussed on the web) which would affect my iPad and MBPro. Other issues may relate to iOS & OS X - all of those fractional updates frequently are in part directed @ Wi-Fi issues. And finally, my ISP is Time-Warner and I have the modem go down a couple of times a week - SO, not always easy to 'pin down' these problems. Dave :)

jantoles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I usually get is a message saying my email cannot be sent. However, if I go into my Outbox, it is sitting there and once I click into the email, the Send button appears and I can send the email the second time. This happens so often that I now expect it, and it is such a nuisance. What is causing this?

snopls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also seeing this message a lot! But I'm confused about one thing (okay, more than one thing, but this question is just about one). What server is involved here? Is it an Apple-based server, or is it the mail server at my service provider (in this case, Roadrunner at Time Warner)? If it's the Apple server, why is this happening, and is it something that Apple should fix?
Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am also seeing this message a lot! But I'm confused about one thing (okay, more than one thing, but this question is just about one). What server is involved here? Is it an Apple-based server, or is it the mail server at my service provider (in this case, Roadrunner at Time Warner)? If it's the Apple server, why is this happening, and is it something that Apple should fix?
Thanks!

If you are using Roadrunner's email service, then it will be their servers. The only time email has to go through Apple email servers is when you are using your iCloud (Apple) email.

Now whether their servers are working will with iPad's email client, that's another story. Mostly if it's set up correctly, it works; but there are exceptions. You wouldn't be the first to have problems with Roadrunner email on an iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What I usually get is a message saying my email cannot be sent. However, if I go into my Outbox, it is sitting there and once I click into the email, the Send button appears and I can send the email the second time. This happens so often that I now expect it, and it is such a nuisance. What is causing this?

Some email providers need SSL authentication, and some don't. In some cases the ones that do, don't as long as you are on their network (your home ISP), but do when you try to send email from any other location. So, I would keep an eye on where you are when you try to send, and if it makes a difference.

Toggling the SSL settings in your email's Advanced settings might help as well.

If you're provider has support pages for email, see if they have an iOS setup page, and see if you're set up exactly as specified. And bugging them about issues isn't a bad idea.

GaryKerkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, have encountered the problem, and others, even with IOS 8.3, with iPad 2 and iPhone 5s. I even experienced some problems with my MBA, but not since Yosemite was introduced. I concentrate my email through a Gmail account taking advantage of the large storage and IMAP facility. My solution on IOS is to use the Gmail App.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions