What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question re Traffic Layer in Google Earth app

nightskyuap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post; I just found the forum while researching my question.

I use the traffic layer every day on the PC version of Google Earth; I check how traffic is moving prior to leaving work, so I can plan alternate commuting routes. The traffic layer is missing from the iPad app (or I just can't find it). Does anyone have any information as to why it might have been omitted? bandwidth? I use an iPad 2.

Any input is appreciated.

thanks,
nightskyuap:)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have the 3G version, or just the WiFi.

But we all know that the Google Earth has less features on the iPad, and that might be one of them.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Hmm, I am not seeing a Traffic layer either.

Personally, I have been using an app called "Traffic View" which links up with Trimarc cameras in my area. Check it out and see if it will do what you want. Make sure your area is supported before laying down any cash. What I like is I can set favs for the cameras along my route.

There are other maps out there that grab the Traffic as well. MotionX GPS Drive HD is what I use for navigation on the iPad and it is spot on.

OP
N

nightskyuap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I apologize for neglecting to mention that my iPad 2 is WiFi only

thanks,
nightskyuap

Reaction score
You may need to use the Maps app, which comes preinstalled.

When you open it, you will notice that the bottom right corner is dog-eared, you want to pull that corner up to open the underlying menu. One of the options is Traffic Overlay. Just set that to on and flap the map back ontop of the menu. The maps will now show traffic conditions.

I don't think this works with Google Earth. But since Maps uses Google Maps as well, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

OP
N

nightskyuap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks to all who replied..;)

yes, I've decided - for now - to use the maps traffic feed. It is pre-installed. My thinking was that I''d consider mounting the iPad in my car, along with a hotspot, and be able to monitor a larger real-time traffic display than my iPhone 3GS can provide.

best,
nightskyuap

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
You may need to use the Maps app, which comes preinstalled.

When you open it, you will notice that the bottom right corner is dog-eared, you want to pull that corner up to open the underlying menu. One of the options is Traffic Overlay. Just set that to on and flap the map back ontop of the menu. The maps will now show traffic conditions.

I don't think this works with Google Earth. But since Maps uses Google Maps as well, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I never knew that about Maps, Tim is right when he say you learn something new each day.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts