What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About iMessaging

Halfpint_x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi can I get a bit of info?

I've just recently started to recieve iMessage on my iPad. Someone today sent me a photo message to my iPhone and my iMessage was turned on so I know it would have went straight to my iPad aswell. What I'm wanting to know is I have months upon months of messages from this person as I haven't deleted there messages from my phone. Will those messages also appear on the iPad aswell? I'm not in my house so I dont know if that's happened. that's what in wanting to know. Just my sister uses my iPad and I don't want her see to those previous messages lol.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Halfpint_x said:
Hi can I get a bit of info?

I've just recently started to recieve iMessage on my iPad. Someone today sent me a photo message to my iPhone and my iMessage was turned on so I know it would have went straight to my iPad aswell. What I'm wanting to know is I have months upon months of messages from this person as I haven't deleted there messages from my phone. Will those messages also appear on the iPad aswell? I'm not in my house so I dont know if that's happened. that's what in wanting to know. Just my sister uses my iPad and I don't want her see to those previous messages lol.

This will depend on whether this person is sending the messages to your phone number or your email address and on how you have iMessage set up. If they have used your phone number, messages will only get sent to your phone, if you have set up both your iPad and iPhone to receive at your email the same message will be received on both the iPad and iPhone.

My daughter received an ipad after she had been using her iPhone for messages and no, the older messages didn't download to her iPad after she set it up.

I hope this helps you and that your friend has only used your phone number ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this question to its own thread as it was buried (and widely off-topic) in the thread in which it was originally posted. So, please, keep any and all discussion/follow-ups to this thread. I have deleted the other you started on this same issue.

Thanks.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Recent changes in iOS 6:

You can receive messages sent to you iPhone on the iPad if both are signed into iMessages with the same Apple ID (even those sent to your phone number). It's working across my iMac, iPad, and iPhone. Other's have had some trouble getting tit to work, but signing out and back in with yoru Apple ID in Messages' settings seems to cure it (eventually).

Since this is a matter of sending/receiving messages (not syncing your history) only new messages will show up.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Recent changes in iOS 6:

You can receive messages sent to you iPhone on the iPad if both are signed into iMessages with the same Apple ID (even those sent to your phone number). It's working across my iMac, iPad, and iPhone. Other's have had some trouble getting tit to work, but signing out and back in with yoru Apple ID in Messages' settings seems to cure it (eventually).

Since this is a matter of sending/receiving messages (not syncing your history) only new messages will show up.

I had wondered if IOS6 had changed anything here and I see that it apparently has. Thank you TP, great info to know.

OP
H

Halfpint_x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I know if u have the same apple I'd then IMessage can get sent to both. It's just because I had months upon months Of messages from that person so when they sent me that photo message would all my other messages from that person appear on iPad aswell or just the photo message?

OP
H

Halfpint_x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Recent changes in iOS 6:

Just saw the bottom part of ur message. Only new messages will show up thanks for the info :) xx

yohan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, can u tell me how to see my iphone message history (ie, old messages) on my ipad? i have them sync'd so current msgs show up on my ipad, just not previous/ old messages. thank u kindly

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Message history does not sync. There is no way to see the history of one device on another (short of forwarding the messages).

When you use the same iCloud account on both the iPhone and iPad, they will both receive your messages; provided they are iMessages, Apple's service, not SMS, through the phone carrier. In the second case only the iPhone will get the message.

This is why you see messages on both devices, not syncing.

Most reactions

Latest posts