What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Publishers dont get it...

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been a subscriber to magazines for some time, when the evolution to web based magazines started I was very exited some publishers got it right. However when I see the pricing I realize that the pricing strategy is completely wrong. I refuse to pay more for a cyber version of something that I used to get for less as a hard copy. How is it that they didn't see successful the low price and high volume sale strategy that has worked for app developers as the rule to follow. I haven't done the math but common sense leads me to believe that cyber publishing not involving cost of paper, ink, printing, distribution plus other cost associated with producing the hard copies is highly reduced in the web/app version. The comment of " If I'm gonna have to pay that much I might as well get the hard copy" is being heard more and more.

avwh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The comment of " If I'm gonna have to pay that much I might as well get the hard copy" is being heard more and more.

That MUST be their strategy - don't make the cheaper-to-produce (no printing, no mailing costs) e-version attractive, just keep subscription numbers higher than the "bleed off" that might occur if they priced the e-version more appropriately based on costs.

Of course, the way to accomplish BOTH objectives, IMO, is to allow online subscription for free if you have a print subscription. They keep their circulation numbers, and the reader gets the convenience of both versions for the same subscription they're already paying for.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is how People magazine does their subscriptions; iPad version free with a print subscription. My friend and I went in together and she gets the print copy while I download the iPad copy.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
allow online subscription for free if you have a print subscription.

People can easily share their online log in details.

Publishers just don't want to encourage ebook/online content consumption. It gives the control to authors and snatches the profit from them.

For same reason, many Amazon Kindle books cost more than printed versions!

Most reactions

Latest posts