What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Productivity help

pastorjosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I just got an Ipad1 64 gig 3g. My intention is to use it for work as well as pleasure. I have spent 2 days searching the forum, and trying to decipher what apps I need to accomplish my needs. Here is what I need to do:

Very basic Excell files, I need to be able to use a very basic excel sheet to keep up with customers that keep stock of my product. Each of my customers need their own excel sheet. I need to save each file each week, and at the end of the month open them on my work pc to upload to my server.

I also need very basic note taking abilities. Handwriting would be great.
I am just so new to this, I am overwhelmed with all the info. I have read the comparison that gets sent to everyone. I need some help knowing how to save the files, as I am sure you don't just save to desktop like on a pc. Thanks so much for the help.

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use QuickOffice Pro HD to read and create Excel and Word files for my small business where each client needs their own file. I also use Dropbox to store all the files I may also want access from my (Windows Vista) PC or iPhone. For notes that are handwritten or diagrams I use UPAD. I use Print n Share to print from my iPad to my non - 'air print' HP printer.

Be aware that all of the options for MS Office use on the iPad are limited in functionality, but if you are just doing the basics you should be fine. There are several good options for your needs besides the ones I mentioned - look around for the ones that best meet your needs.

Enjoy your new iPad! I use mine all day long for work and after - amazing tool.

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is a free service that allows you to store files in the 'cloud'- i.e. on a remote server somewhere in the world at an undisclosed location. If you store files there you need wifi or 3G connection to get access to them. It is an application that you can download on your PC and there is also an app for iPhone and iPad (and most any device you can name). I have been using it 5 days a week, all day since early June for my business and have had a few occasions where I couldn't access my files at a particular moment - but usually a few minutes later I can get access. If you use dropbox then you can have access to your important files no matter what device you have with you - and all devices seem to play well with Dropbox - ease of use is great. Also if you lose or misplace your device, you haven't let your files - they are out there in the 'cloud' - wherever that is (over the rainbow?)

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I just correct, DropBox us accessible over WiFi, so 3G is not mandatory.

You want spreadsheets for each client, but why not try running an accounts package?
have a look at 'ring it up' POS, demo from the apple store, full package is about £22. Demo has limited number of transactions.

cover VAT, stock control, minimum levels, discounts, can even have a picture of each product, also signature capture and credit cards.

Or the totally free 'inquote'.
Docstogo good for spreadsheets as l as word processing, but this route is harder than PP when flicking between clients.

Have a look at

fastonnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad at work apps

I use quickoffice pro for office suite needs

Notability for ntoe taking

Informant HD for calendar and tasks. This is great.

tabletproductive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
tabletproductive.com
Agree with the Dropbox note above. Take a look at Evernote for simple text-based note taking and maybe even information storage if you are willing to use Evernote as an archive. UPAD was mentioned above which is a great app; try the Lite version first as it is free. You could also check out NotetakerHD (5.99 I believe) which is a much more robust handwriting/notetaking app that I am very comfortable with. Remember the Milk (free for the basic version) is an excellent task manager that does integrate with Exchange (just found this today!). TaskTaskHD, Wunderlist (free) and Toodledo are all good task managers as well. If you like Mindmapping, iThoughtsHD (9.99) is an excellent app for the iPad. I never tried mind mapping before iThoughtsHD and have since found it enormously useful for my work brainstorming.

Some other apps that are excellent, but more towards entertainment are Zite (free) which is an electronic magazine that is built on your interests and Instapaper which is a really good offline reading application for stuff that you bookmark on the web or forward via email. I have heard that GoodReader is a great app for PDF, but I have not used it myself yet.

Tons of options for sure!

enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts