What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem With eBooks.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just recently attempted to load one of my eBooks into my IPad (following instructions given in the IPad's PDF user guide), but with no success.

My eBook is not one purchased from the Apple Marketplace, but one that I had already owned - and had successfully married to my Sony PRS-600 Reader. It simply does not show up at all, despite anything that I have tried to do. I am using the free iBook reader, and wonder if purchasing the 'GoodReader' program is what might give me what I am looking for.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. The iPad manual suggests several ways to get books into iBooks and I wonder which you had tried? One way I've used in the past is to email the book from my PC to myself and receive it on the iPad as an attachment to the email. If it's big, then you get an icon saying that it's not all been downloaded and you have to touch that icon to download the rest of the book. Then touch *and hold* the attachment icon and a small 'call out' will appear asking you if you want to open the attachment in iBooks.

If this doesn't help, get back to us and we'll figure some more possibilities.

Enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. The iPad manual suggests several ways to get books into iBooks and I wonder which you had tried? One way I've used in the past is to email the book from my PC to myself and receive it on the iPad as an attachment to the email. If it's big, then you get an icon saying that it's not all been downloaded and you have to touch that icon to download the rest of the book. Then touch *and hold* the attachment icon and a small 'call out' will appear asking you if you want to open the attachment in iBooks.

If this doesn't help, get back to us and we'll figure some more possibilities.

Enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

Thanks Tim.

I have gotten this matter well in hand, now, as I have the 'GoodReader APP' to handle my eBooks. I had posted similar in another thread, and received a wealth of information there, from the very nice & helpful people at this site. But I appreciate your stepping forward, also, to try and help me through what I was experiencing. Hopefully, I can be of such help to someone else here - one day :).

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What format is your ebook in? Although Goodreader is a great app, it deals with pdf files primarily (although it does others such as txt, doc, xls etc) but it does not handle epub.

If you can tell us what file format you are dealing with we can guide you better.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hapishap said:
What format is your ebook in? Although Goodreader is a great app, it deals with pdf files primarily (although it does others such as txt, doc, xls etc) but it does not handle epub.

If you can tell us what file format you are dealing with we can guide you better.

It wasn't that many Epubs that I had, but there were a few that I was rather keen on. However, I have converted those Epubs to PDF's (via Calibre) now that I no longer have my Sony Reader (given to one of our daughters).

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ePub is a great format to use. Get Stanza (free) and use the epubs there.

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree that emailing to yourself is an easy way to get your epubs into iBooks. Also, if you're already using Calibre, it can upload your books straight to your iPad when it's connected.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thegreatone3 said:
Agree that emailing to yourself is an easy way to get your epubs into iBooks. Also, if you're already using Calibre, it can upload your books straight to your iPad when it's connected.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that Calibre could bus books into the iPad. I thought, for sure, that it had to be done by one of Apple's apps.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I drag epubs into iTunes from windows explorer and drop them on my library.

Then I connect the iPad, highlight it in iTunes, go to books (across the top, not on the side) and check sync books, then hit sync.

Viola.

Most reactions

Latest posts