What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Books app

Fthomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Started having trouble removing some downloads (not all)
from the Books app on my iPad. These aren’t purchases but rather free books. All of a sudden they are stubborn. Books are on iCloud. I remove the download and seconds later it automatically shows up again.

Any thoughts? Cheers all And thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you obtained these books from the iBook Store, free or not, they will not delete from your library. Once you purchase a book in the store, Apple considers it your’s forever. Apple treats a free book as if you payed zero dollars for it, not as a special/different kind of book. Removing it from the iPad just changes it to a non-downloaded state. On the other hand, books you get from the iBook Store never take up iCloud Storage. The links/list of them come from the store. Only books you add yourself from another source take up iCloud Storage space (providing you’ve turned on the iCloud Drive option in Settings).

If you don’t want to see the book in your library you should have a Hide option. It will either chose up as an option on it’s own (for books not downloaded), or in the a selection of options when you choose Remove.

Hidden books can be revealed, but (last time I looked) you hav to go into your store account settings to do so.

OP
F

Fthomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you obtained these books from the iBook Store, free or not, they will not delete from your library. Once you purchase a book in the store, Apple considers it your’s forever. Apple treats a free book as if you payed zero dollars for it, not as a special/different kind of book. Removing it from the iPad just changes it to a non-downloaded state. On the other hand, books you get from the iBook Store never take up iCloud Storage. The links/list of them come from the store. Only books you add yourself from another source take up iCloud Storage space (providing you’ve turned on the iCloud Drive option in Settings).

If you don’t want to see the book in your library you should have a Hide option. It will either chose up as an option on it’s own (for books not downloaded), or in the a selection of options when you choose Remove.

Hidden books can be revealed, but (last time I looked) you hav to go into your store account settings to do so.
Thanks. Appreciate the response but its not these books. Just a small group of epubs and pdfs that have been on my icloud for over a year with no problems. But all of a sudden they seem to be permanently downloaded on my ipad and I can’t remove the download. No purchases.
Very frustrating. I remove the download and a few seconds the download pops back up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is on, try turning off iCloud Drive in Settings > Books. With luck, this will allow you to delete them from the iPad even if the books are still in iCloud Drive.

Now you should be able to go into your account settings at the top of Settings left column, then choose Manage Storage and Apple Books. You should see a list of all you’re manually downloaded books (that are stored in iCloud Drive). You can delete them by swiping left and choosing Delete.

Once they are gone on both iPad and iCloud, you can proably turn it back on to keep the PDF and EPUB books you’ve added manually synced across devices.

If any of these books are ones you don’t care to lose permanently, be sure to have copies saved else where.

Of course this should not be necessary. When you choose Delete Everwhere (not Remove) in the iBooks app it should remove the book from the iPad, iCloud Drive, and any other devices you may have synced the book with.

Most reactions