What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing Software

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest software to enable my HP Photosmart C309 to print with my ipad?

Hello and welcome to the forum! As already stated, your HP printer is not compatible w/ Apple's AirPrint technology; but before others might be able to help you, some additional information would be useful: 1) Is your printer attached to a computer?; and if so 2) What computer & OS are you using? If you are printing from a network, are you cabled into a computer or performing the task via Wi-Fi?

If you are printing cabled to a computer, there are software options (i.e. apps/programs that can be put on the computer that will mimic AirPrint - I use to use FingerPrint which is no longer available) that can be recommended; also, I would suggest checking w/ the HP website to see if updated drivers might be available for your printer that would allow wireless printing from the iPad or possibly a HP app that would accomplish the goal?

Now if you do not have a computer and want a wireless printing option, you will likely need a new printer - but leave HP support a message to see if they might have a solution - good luck. Dave

OP
W

Weekendbeacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt replies!

Dave, my hp printer is a wireless printer with Bluetooth radio that is attached to my PC. My PC has windows OS. I use my home wi-fi to connect my laptop, kindle and ipad. Now I would like to be able to print if possible without purchasing a new printer.

Your suggestion about checking the HP website is a good one. Thank you!!!!
(Obviously I am quite lost)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt replies!

Dave, my hp printer is a wireless printer with Bluetooth radio that is attached to my PC. My PC has windows OS. I use my home wi-fi to connect my laptop, kindle and ipad. Now I would like to be able to print if possible without purchasing a new printer.

Your suggestion about checking the HP website is a good one. Thank you!!!!
(Obviously I am quite lost)

Hello again and not to worry - we've all been lost in this computer world and still learning!

Now I would still check w/ HP for their advice (I recently was helped rather quickly by Canon support to print directly to CD-R & DVD-R discs) - your HP printer is likely using Wi-Fi to communicate w/ your computer & network (although I could be wrong) - but you may want to try a software option on your PC computer, e.g. look at this Article (you can google others) for an option; check the iPad app store and search on printing.

If you find a software option and it does not work w/ your present printer setup, can you do a USB connection w/ a cable? This seems always easier for me than fussing w/ wireless printing (which has dramatically improved, I must say) - I'll let you think about those choices and post back - good luck! Dave

OP
W

Weekendbeacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave, you are the best! I installed printer pro and it works great. Thank you so much for your help.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same HP printer as the original poster in this thread so I was interested in using this App (Printer Pro). Ran the test with the lite version and then bought the pro app. My main trouble now is in accessing the "Open In" menu. I can't seem to find it anywhere along the top of the screen. I always used this feature in my iPad 1 so I'm totally confused now. I checked in the systems settings App and see no mention of this. Help!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the same HP printer as the original poster in this thread so I was interested in using this App (Printer Pro). Ran the test with the lite version and then bought the pro app. My main trouble now is in accessing the "Open In" menu. I can't seem to find it anywhere along the top of the screen. I always used this feature in my iPad 1 so I'm totally confused now. I checked in the systems settings App and see no mention of this. Help!

Well, you will first have to address the issues quoted below that I asked the OP - since your printer is not AirPrint compatible (and even if on a home Wi-Fi network) you cannot print from your iPad even w/ the app described; now, I just downloaded he 'Lite' version of Printer Pro and was able to print the test page to my Canon Pixma which has the AirPrint technology; now I don't really need the app because the iPad recognizes an AirPrint compatible printer.

You need to supply answers to the questions below - if you have a computer and the printer is attached, then you will need the desktop version of Printer Pro which will mimic Air Print - this is what I did in the past w/ the now defunct FingerPrint - no iPad app needed. Let us know - Dave :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! As already stated, your HP printer is not compatible w/ Apple's AirPrint technology; but before others might be able to help you, some additional information would be useful: 1) Is your printer attached to a computer?; and if so 2) What computer & OS are you using? If you are printing from a network, are you cabled into a computer or performing the task via Wi-Fi?

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.i downloaded Printer Pro Desktop to my iMac and noted the little printer icon that appears at the top of the menu bar. I selected the Bonjour Hp 309 printer. The iMac is running Os10.8 Maverick. The HP printer is not wired to the iMac but is on the home network. I also have an older Canon Pixma directly connected via USB. It is NOT AirPrint capable but it shows up in the dialog.

When I selected an email message from Mail on my iPad, went to the print dialog, I was told "no AirPrint printers found." No luck. This may not be worth any further trouble on my part. I just didn't want to buy another printer for this capability.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upon further review, the iPad App did work for me so my $2.99 plus tax for the App was not wasted. Did not realize that this a Clipboard based program. Sometimes things work despite my best efforts to foul them up.

Most reactions