What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preloaded hike, bike, boat, car GPS App & mounts

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 3G+Wifi iPad2 won't ship until 4/20, but I may as well do some research ahead of time.

One of the features I'm really looking forward to using is GPS. My gf and I often go hiking & biking, plan to do some sailing, and travel in a RAV4 to rural areas. 3G service may not always be available so I'd like a GPS app that uses pre-stored maps. I'm ordering a 64 GB iPad2, so space shouldn't be an issue.

I have Garmin products, but they specialize and seem to deliberately hobble them. For example, my Nuvi won't record tracks which are important for hiking and back-tracking.

I'd like my iPad2 to function as an all-purpose GPS (with a really large screen!). So, turn-by-turn driving instructions is an important feature (to replace my Nuvi) along with the ability to track and use terrain and marine maps.

I'd appreciate any recommendations / comments on the best pre-stored map multi-purpose GPS application. Or, if one app doesn't do everything well, then which set of GPS apps?

Also... mounts... I know the iPad2 is new, but I'll want a good car mount (particularly for a new RAV4). Any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 3G+Wifi iPad2 won't ship until 4/20, but I may as well do some research ahead of time.

One of the features I'm really looking forward to using is GPS. My gf and I often go hiking & biking, plan to do some sailing, and travel in a RAV4 to rural areas. 3G service may not always be available so I'd like a GPS app that uses pre-stored maps. I'm ordering a 64 GB iPad2, so space shouldn't be an issue.

I have Garmin products, but they specialize and seem to deliberately hobble them. For example, my Nuvi won't record tracks which are important for hiking and back-tracking.

I'd like my iPad2 to function as an all-purpose GPS (with a really large screen!). So, turn-by-turn driving instructions is an important feature (to replace my Nuvi) along with the ability to track and use terrain and marine maps.

I'd appreciate any recommendations / comments on the best pre-stored map multi-purpose GPS application. Or, if one app doesn't do everything well, then which set of GPS apps?

Also... mounts... I know the iPad2 is new, but I'll want a good car mount (particularly for a new RAV4). Any ideas?

On this last point, our supporting vendor, padholdr.com, has some beautiful car holders for the iPad2 that don't require any drilling of the dash. I'm not saying that because they're a supporing vendor - but take a look and I think you'll agree they look great. Plus they have an exceptionally comprehensive range to fit most any car.

I use the TomTom pre-stored maps app on my iPad - but it might not be what you're looking for because it primarily is for road navigation and not backpacking. I hope you get some other suggestions from members.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
-Navfree GPS Live US, but that is mostly a navigation software. The current update only has one 1star rating, but that is just because the person failed to read that their iPad has not enough free memory to install the app.
-You need a map, offline map

OP
R

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I did a quick glance at the ipadholdr site... their mount for my RAV4 is $150... a little pricey but I want to look over more closely... the part that holds the iPad also seems a little large, but not sure that matters...

DontUnderstand...: Navfree GPS Live US is on my list to try out when I get my iPad2. Thanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts