What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

popups on Ipad blocks everything

Femke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodmorning,

My mother has an IPad 2 with the latest software. Since 2 days she gets everyware popups and can't do anything om the iPad.
When she opens Safari, Wordfeud or the mail she sees the popup and can't get it away or close the tab.
Does anyone recognize this and better, does anybody nows how to get rid of it?

Thanks for a reaction.

OP
F

Femke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen it but that was already the right setting.
I'm waiting now for a call from her if the problem still excist.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately the pop-up blockers in most browsers no longer work. They blocked an older style of pop-up that almost no one uses anymore.

Advertisers have created new versions based on javascript. Turning off Javascript will block them, but it also blocks many of the other useful features that have become standard.

There are ad blocking apps for the iPad. They work by detecting where the ads come from and redirecting content from those sites to the void. If I remember right the two most mentioned ones are AdBlock and Webloc.

It's an all or nothing solution that uses the network proxy settings on the iPad. Ad content for the included sites will be blocked for all the iPad's apps, not just Safari.

My solution is to stop going to sites that have annoying block-the-content style ads. Or at least minimize visiting them if they can't be avoided. I can understand a site's or app's need to generate income with ads, but I see no reason to reward them for making me jump through hoops to read content. I have better things to do with my time than wait for a mandatory ad to time out and let me read.

A note to advertisers who think these ads are effective. It's true, I do tend to remember them better. It's also true that the product goes to the bottom of my list of possible purchases. It would have to be something I can't do without, and have no decent competitors before I'd buy it.

Of course, I might not be a typical consumer.

Sorry for the rant. :oops:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts