What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Podcasts App Arrives in App Store

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7316-podcasts-out-now.JPG

Well we thought that we might have to wait until iOS 6 for this, but AppleInsider reports today that Apple has released a new, standalone Podcasts app in the App Store. The app is free, and universal, and is described by Apple as being “the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favourite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.†The app gives you easy access to a massive amount of free audio and video podcasts from Apple’s extensive Podcasts Catalog, and will organize your podcasts for you by topic, using the new Top Stations feature. Here’s a complete list of all the new app’s key features, courtesy of Apple, and AppleInsider:

• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices

This is an excellent idea from Apple, as a way of highlighting all the fantastic content to be found in its huge library of podcasts.

Click here to download the free app: Podcasts for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Apple launches new 'Podcasts' app for iPhone, iPad

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just downloaded the app and it looks great. It seems to be a much better way of finding,downloading and watching or listening to podcasts.

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been waiting for these application for a long time. yeahhh this will be great just started downloading it now.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded this yesterday and not really sure it does anything that e.g. Downcast doesn't already address, tbh. Disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any way of importing an existing podcast list from anything other than iTunes i.e. no OPML import. Or maybe that's an iOS 6-only thing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded this yesterday and not really sure it does anything that e.g. Downcast doesn't already address, tbh. Disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any way of importing an existing podcast list from anything other than iTunes i.e. no OPML import. Or maybe that's an iOS 6-only thing.

I tried and had a similar experience. The fouled-up Music app on iOS 5 drove me to use Downcast, and now I need a good reason to switch to the iPod app and haven't found one.

Most reactions

Latest posts