What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos & Camera app usage difference

Dipsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would somebody kindly be able to explain to me why I am seeing a huge difference under Usage for Photos & Camera between my iPads? On my iPad Mini with Retina I have absolutely no photos or videos whatsoever yet under Usage it shows 308Mb. On my iPad 3rd Gen I have 6 photos and no videos and under Usage it shows 195Mb used. Why the big difference?

Both iPads are 16Gb running IOS 8.1.2.
Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tap the usage stat and see how it breaks down between the Photo Library, Photo Stream, etc. That might clear things up, or not.

OP
Dipsey

Dipsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet for the quick reply. I tapped the usage stat on both iPads and nothing happened. I have Photo Stream turned off on both by the way.

OP
Dipsey

Dipsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood about taping the Usage stat. On both iPads it shows Photo Library only as the usage.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are both iPads in iOS 8? If it is, check the recently deleted album in the photos app. Sometimes other apps can cause the increase of storage used up by photos.

OP
Dipsey

Dipsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, both iPads are using the latest in IOS8. On both iPads the recently deleted album is empty. Thanks for your suggestion.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I've got no ideas then. It's probably left over data in the photos database. Something the system isn't dong as good a job of cleaning up as it could.

BTW, the amount of usage on the iPad 3 sounds about right for that few photos. There's always a minimum amount taken up, photos or no.

Not that it's likely to help, but you could try a restart or reset and see if that kicks things off. Wait a while after , to give the system time to do it's thing.

Another thing you could try is to take a few photos on the iPad Mini, delete them, delete them again in the recently deleted album, then restart. Again, wait a bit.

Good luck.

----

B]Restart:[/B] Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
Dipsey

Dipsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice. I had already tried what you suggested but did so again - without any change to the 100Mb+ difference in the iPad mini.

It's not a problem for me as such but when I noticed the big difference in usage size I got really curious as to why it happened. I will just live with it - and remain curious - and it might well fix itself at some stage!

Appreciate you trying to help.

Most reactions

Latest posts