What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo stream vs my photo stream

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad has both photo stream and MY photo stream (also camera roll). I can delete pictures from MY photo stream and camera roll but not photo stream. there are a mess of photos that are duplicated everywhere, but a bunch I want to delete out of photo stream but apparently there is no option to delete from photo stream? Also, if I look at my iCloud photos it only shows 'my photo stream'. May be there is no answer to this, but I would like to eliminate the duplicates.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you sync any photos with iTunes on the computer. Maybe you've got a folder/album you are syncing that is named "Photo Stream". Photos in synced albums can not be deleted on the iPad. They must be changed on the computer, then synced again.

The other possibly is that someone has shared an album with you using iCloud Photo Sharing. If they did not give you edit privileges all you could to is delete the entire album. Again, it would be weird if they named it Photo Stream, but it could happen.

Those two possibilities are all I can think of at the moment.

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is what I am dealing with, somehow there is a duplication of photo stream that I cannot delete from and my photo stream that I can delete from. I would like to figure out how to eliminate one or the other. Yes, I do sometimes sync the ipad to itunes, but I can't figure out how to eliminate the duplication. I don't share albums with anyone, so that isn't it. Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.PNG
    IMG_0619.PNG
    262 KB · Views: 312

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you double check your sync settings in Tunes to make sure none of the photo's folder's being synced were named photo stream? If you are syncing an entire folder (instead of selected folders) then you'll have to go to that folder and check what subfolders it contains.

Not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just trying to be sure the possibility has been eliminated. It's not clear (to me) from your reply.

I can't think of anything else, short of a restore, that will get rid of an album that won't let you delete it.

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not being obnoxious at all, it is hard to help someone when you are not 100% sure of what they are doing on their end. I did see in itunes where I had the 'photo stream' folder checked to sync. Unchecking it did not help, I still can't get rid of it on the ipad, even unchecked in itunes it will not let me delete anything from photo stream.

Last edited:
OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it! After I unchecked photostream from the sync, I forgot to sync again, just did that and the extra album 'photo stream' is gone. thanks SO much for the help!

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, I have new wrinkle. After the ios 8.3 update, I started having problems with wifi dropping out, long story short, I ended up having to do a restore of my iPad. Now I have 'all photos' and 'photo stream'. The new photos I take on my iPad go to 'all photos' and not to 'photo stream' and consequently those photos do not sync to my pc. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you've turned Photos Stream back on in the Photos settings. Double check to make sure it is still enabled on the computer. Hold in mind that Photo Stream will not sync backwards. It only gathers new photos. Those taken since the feature was enabled. It would have restarted when your restored the iPad as well.

All Photos is what it says. It shows everything on your camera roll and in all your albums. It has absolutely no effect on Photos Stream and what photos do or do not show up there.

If you've turned on iCloud Photo Library, the camera roll is no more. If you haven't, then it should still show up under the Albums tab.

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, all the settings are as you describe. 'All Photos' shows what 'camera roll' used to show, which is fine. However when I use the iPad to take a picture, it stores it in 'all photos' where before it used to store it in 'photo stream' and then it would upload to my pc. Now I cannot get the pictures I take with the iPad to upload to my pc because they are only in 'all photos', photo stream does not gather new photos, only all photos does.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 335
OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had nothing but trouble since I did the iOS 8.3 update, wifi keeps dropping out, never had that problem before, then had to do a restore, still have the wifi dropout and now the photo stream issue. I've tried turning it off for a while and turning it back on, no luck. Seems to be a real glitch.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photo Stream requires wi-fi/internet to work. So that may be the issue.

Have you tried restarting the router?

For best results, forget the network on the iPad, restart the router, then rejoin the network on the iPad.

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great suggestions all and I have tried all of that more than once :( I think I may try it one more time today, I just don't know what else to do. If I had any reasonable expectation that doing another restore of the ipad would cure my ills, I would suck it up and go through the process again, but that is what screwed up the photo stream/all photos. I really appreciate you trying to help, if you come with something else, pass it along, please. Thanks again!

OP
J

janesca54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well I just spent the better part of the last 2 hrs troubleshooting and can't believe I finally found MY error! I had been connecting the ipad to the PC and using itunes to sync the two, I thought they were both syncing just fine. So reading up on other ideas, I decided to turn off the icloud photo library on the ipad, turned the ipad off and then back on. Still no change. My last resort was to one more time try syncing the ipad through itunes to the pc. Then I thought well let me click on the 'photo' setting in itunes for my iPad and realized that somehow (maybe when I did the restore) the 'sync photos' boxed had gotten unchecked. As soon as I rechecked it and did a sync, just like that 'all photos' is gone, I have camera roll back and photo stream back. I think I will go read a book now . . . . . thanks for your patience and assistance.

Most reactions

Latest posts