What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo app

nazirji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 600 photos in my photos app on Ipad 2 - these photos - show on Ipad sorted with various dates - when they were probably taken
I tried to transfer them to my windows based laptop using a wireless transfer app and the photos transferred
as a zip folder - when I opened it I see all the photos - however they do not show with the various dates as seen in the Ipad photos app. any suggestions of as to if there is a way to transfer the photos from the app to my laptop with the dates showing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all the photos are in the Camera Roll or Imported rolls, then you should be able to copy them directly from the iPad using the lightning to USB cable that is part of your charger. When plugged in the iPad will show up as a camera or USB drive. Your photos should be in the DCIM folder or a subfolder.

Copy them. Don't move or delete them from the iPad from Windows.

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
why cant you delete them from the ipad from windows?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can. You shouldn't.

It is just safer to let the iPad manage it's own file system. Photos maintains a database of information about each photo along with a thumbnail. It is better to do all your photo managment directly on the iPad, so that it updates everything. If you change thing through Windows you are hoping the iPad will notice the changes and clean things up later. It probably will, but why take chances.

For similar reasons you should always re-format your camera SD cards on the camera, not the computer.

OP
N

nazirji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but when I connect Ipad with the apple cable to laptop it takes straight to ITunes where I see a Ipad device but under computer I do not see any - if I do not see the device under computer then I will not see the DCIM you mentioned - and in the ITunes I cannot seem to see any photos - I see that there are 600 photos in the photos app/icon which is on my Ipad. could it be that there is a problem connecting my Ipad to laptop and that is why I do not see the device under computer ? what to do now ? thanks again

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you looking in windows explorer? That is where it should show up.

OP
N

nazirji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on my windows based laptop on the left hand side I click the icon to see what devices show up under computer - I see my external HD connected but I do not see Ipad device - as I also wrote that when I connect my Ipad to the laptop via the cable ITunes opens up and I see a Ipad device there but I do not see any photos visible there

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should show up in the top level of the Windows Explore, or on the desktop, the same place the HD shows up, not under computer. Definitely not in iTunes.

Here's an Apple support page on importing photos from iOS devices to a computer. It looks like a good starting place, with plenty of links. Perhaps it will help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Most reactions

Latest posts