What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF reading apps and workflow for academics

Raider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I just got the new iPad and I'm looking for a PDF reading solution. Specifically, I would like a PDF reader that allows me to highlight and annotate PDF, and then exports my annotations and highlights in a TXT or RTF file. I would ideally also like something that could work well with Zotero and Devonthink.

I have heard of quick reader and good reader but I'm not sure whether these two programs support the annotation functions that I'm looking for. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

tbns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, I just posted pretty much an identical question. Didn't see this. Looking forward to seeing responses.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good reader is arguably the best all around pdf reader. It is more or less a Swiss army knife for file handling and is pretty good in the annotation department.

I have just started using iAnnotate, though, and it is far superior as far as handwritten annotation goes. Sorry I can't respond to your other specifics, though no doubt others can.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
Good reader is arguably the best all around pdf reader. It is more or less a Swiss army knife for file handling and is pretty good in the annotation department.

I have just started using iAnnotate, though, and it is far superior as far as handwritten annotation goes. Sorry I can't respond to your other specifics, though no doubt others can.

Sorry, not iAnnote, but neuAnnotate!

danelvex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For reading, PDF Reader would be the right one. Not sure about "exports my annotations and highlights in a TXT or RTF file“, but it reminds me of a Mac app called "PDF To Text" to do the job. Haven't tried it on iPad, but you can take a look at App Store though.

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For reading why not get the Adobe Reader it is free and from the creators of the pdf format.

Most reactions