What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox Case

lightspeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the otter box cases are good, everyone raves about them - I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about them! But are the screen protectors that come with them any good, are they easy to apply/last long?

I'd like to get one for my iPad but I'm not sure I really need one lol - a bit OTT for most users?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I like the Defender sometimes, but it is so BIG! It feels like an entire laptop! So I tried to take it off (because I have other means of protection), and it will NOT come off!!! Any suggestions?

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the Defender sometimes, but it is so BIG! It feels like an entire laptop! So I tried to take it off (because I have other means of protection), and it will NOT come off!!! Any suggestions?

Ok, it is crazy easy to remove

First, remove the silicone
Secondly, remove the back cover that you normally would to charge it
Third, grab the bottom part of the Otterbox with your hands, and put your thumbs on the iPad. Then push up. The top part will separate from the bottom.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely recommend taking it off to clean underneath once a month or so, I removed it for the first time about 4 months after getting it and was pretty nasty.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otterbox Defender is so amazing - case is great and had no problems placing the screen protector on. I did take my time :)

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I currently have the Apple case, and I have the ZAGG InvisiShield so both will need to be replaced (as I love the shield); the famous blue chemical reaction is going on so yes, time to stop that problem.

Defender is on my list, and this is a long shot but, anyone have one of the STM Scout SM bags? bags for iPad > scout extra small laptop shoulder bag > STM Bags

I see the Scout tech specs, but I am having a bit of a hard time finding the specs for the Defender when it's all put together so I can see if it will fit. Reviews on google and whatnot may show the size but no tech specs are included. I take my iPad to classes and the Scout is working out real well, but I'd love the extra protection of the Otterbox (combined with the stand).

Thanks for the assistance! :D
I think I am missing some context here, but what I think I am reading is what I suspected all along, ne the Otterbox defender shouldn't be used with the Zagg screen protector because they tend to bond to the point of inseparability. I cannot get my Defender off no matter what I do and I have come to the conclusion that the Zagg screen is the culprit. I really hate the idea of pulling the Zagg screen protector off because (1) it was such a bear to get on, (2) took forever to attach itself [perfectly], and (3) isn't cheap. But i don't see how the OB is going to come off without ripping up the Zagg in the process.

Maybe I'll write to Zagg to see if they have any ideas.

lightspeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I am missing some context here, but what I think I am reading is what I suspected all along, ne the Otterbox defender shouldn't be used with the Zagg screen protector because they tend to bond to the point of inseparability. I cannot get my Defender off no matter what I do and I have come to the conclusion that the Zagg screen is the culprit. I really hate the idea of pulling the Zagg screen protector off because (1) it was such a bear to get on, (2) took forever to attach itself [perfectly], and (3) isn't cheap. But i don't see how the OB is going to come off without ripping up the Zagg in the process.

Maybe I'll write to Zagg to see if they have any ideas.

I can only really see two answers:

You either change your screen protector to one that doesn't use glue (or solution).

Or, you could get some very thin acetate sheet and cut some narrow strips (the width that the Otterbox overlaps your Zagg) to separate the sticky edges of the Zagg from the Otterbox.

But neither of these help you this time :-s

Can you not use a very thin solution of something to ease the bond between the two devices?

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the otter box cases are good, everyone raves about them - I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about them! But are the screen protectors that come with them any good, are they easy to apply/last long?

I'd like to get one for my iPad but I'm not sure I really need one lol - a bit OTT for most users?

My experience with the otterbox screen protector was great. I cleaned my iPad very throughly and made sur to remove all smears dust - used micro fiber and canned air. Placed the screen protector on - took several tries to get in centered how I wanted it. Only had one air bubble which was from a spec of dust that I removed with tape. There we no bubbles after install. Have only had it for two weeks so I cannot speak for the durability of the screen protector. Hope this little re view helps!

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
As I promised (somewhere), I want to report how I got my Otterbox Defender off of my iPad. The Defender is pretty much shot (no one would pay much for it in its current dinged-up condition, but at least it is off my iPad.

(1) I removed the charging port cover (as normally done),

(2) I removed the black silicone cover (as normally done),

(3) I was able to pry the smaller half of the case (not the charging port cover) off of the iPad using a screwdriver and twisting it in the spaces where the two halves meet along the edges and on the outboard mating spaces of the back. It took several inserts/twists to move the small half. Fortunately I was able to do this without marring the iPad. This of course put dings/nicks in the plastic at the mating edges of the Otterbox, but what choice did I have (aside from leaving it on)?

(4) Once I got the smaller half off, I took a sheet of paper, folded about 3/8 of an inch on both long sides, and slid that sheet of paper between the front Otterbox facia and the front surface of the iPad screen. This was not easily done and it took some jimmying to get the paper most of the way in. And you cold hear the adhesive (or whatever that stuff is) breaking free as I jimmied the paper in. Once the sheet of paper was in, I could use the method advertised here to push the iPad out of the larger half of the cover.

All the pieces are intact, such that I wanted to, I could reinstall it. The mating edges are slightly nicked as described earlier, but nothing is really broken.

I think the lesson to be learned here is DO NOT USE a Zagg screen protector with the Otterbox Defender. Or if you do, place some sort of isolation between the screen protector and the Otterbox edge facia. It is entirely possible that if I had let the Zagg dry for several days (or maybe weeks) the two would not have adhered as they did, but I have no way of knowing that for sure, so be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks to all the folks that tried to help. Your efforts were not in vain as I learned other things from those as well.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I promised (somewhere), I want to report how I got my Otterbox Defender off of my iPad. The Defender is pretty much shot (no one would pay much for it in its current dinged-up condition, but at least it is off my iPad.

(1) I removed the charging port cover (as normally done),

(2) I removed the black silicone cover (as normally done),

(3) I was able to pry the smaller half of the case (not the charging port cover) off of the iPad using a screwdriver and twisting it in the spaces where the two halves meet along the edges and on the outboard mating spaces of the back. It took several inserts/twists to move the small half. Fortunately I was able to do this without marring the iPad. This of course put dings/nicks in the plastic at the mating edges of the Otterbox, but what choice did I have (aside from leaving it on)?

(4) Once I got the smaller half off, I took a sheet of paper, folded about 3/8 of an inch on both long sides, and slid that sheet of paper between the front Otterbox facia and the front surface of the iPad screen. This was not easily done and it took some jimmying to get the paper most of the way in. And you cold hear the adhesive (or whatever that stuff is) breaking free as I jimmied the paper in. Once the sheet of paper was in, I could use the method advertised here to push the iPad out of the larger half of the cover.

All the pieces are intact, such that I wanted to, I could reinstall it. The mating edges are slightly nicked as described earlier, but nothing is really broken.

I think the lesson to be learned here is DO NOT USE a Zagg screen protector with the Otterbox Defender. Or if you do, place some sort of isolation between the screen protector and the Otterbox edge facia. It is entirely possible that if I had let the Zagg dry for several days (or maybe weeks) the two would not have adhered as they did, but I have no way of knowing that for sure, so be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks to all the folks that tried to help. Your efforts were not in vain as I learned other things from those as well.

I am now scared to try and remove my ipad from the otterbox 

joleslaurent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much will you charge to Dremel out my Otterbox Defender? I want it to look like yours. Can you send a picture of the your cover without the connection kit attach? Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts