What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS10 update question

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.
My iPad 2 is currently running on OS version 9.3.5.

After a visit to the Apps store and an attempt to download an APP I was advised that the App only worked with OS 10 upwards.

When I tried to update my iPad 2 from the 9.3.5 version to the 10 vers. I was advised that the 9.3.5 is the current version and no update were available.

My question, has Apple now abandoned OS updates for iPad 2 and thereby throwing iPad 2 owners to the wolves?

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 2 is not capable of working with iOS 10 and later. It‘s also the hardware that’s not built for coping with that software. Many users already had problems when they installed iOS 9.

This doesn‘t mean that there won‘t be any more updates. A few years ago, Apple released security updates for some devices that didn‘t get the latest software. The iPad 2 might still receive security updates, maybe to 9.3.6 or 9.4.

The iPad 2 came out in 2011, and it received updates until 2016. Compared to Android tablets, that‘s an eternity. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, e.g., came out in 2014, and it‘s currently running a software released in 2016.

With time, there will be more and more apps that need software later than iOS 9. So it might be time to upgrade to a device that‘s capable of running the most recent software.

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you JA. I was hoping that it would not be the case :( This is how I was forced out of my iPhone 3GS also.

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You‘re welcome.

If you bought it in 2011, when it came out, you‘ve used it for 7 years now. That‘s quite some time, for such a device. I‘m in doubt you‘ll get that lifespan and support with other tablets.

If it‘s still running without problems, and it‘s performance is good enough for your needs, you don‘t have to get a new device immediately. It‘s just time to consider your next step.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there again. Just a couple of questions please relating to your reply.
What is now the current equivalent iPad model to the iPad 2 and what is involved in getting all the data off my iPad 2 onto the (whatever) new model of iPad?

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To get your content to a new iPad, backup to iCloud or iTunes - whichever you prefer - and set up the new device with that backup.
Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Last year, three iPads have been released: the iPad (5th generation) with a 9.7“ screen and retina display, and two iPad Pros (10.5“ and 12.9“ display).
Here‘s a comparison between two of them:
Head to head: Which mid-size iPad is right for you?

It‘s also possible that Apple will introduce a new iPad within a few days.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there J.A.
Thanks for the info. I think I will sit a while before I replace the iPad 2. Apart from a few APPs barfing, the old girl she is still towing the line, so for the time been it will have to do.

Useful info on transferring to new machine. I will have to save that.

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts