What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orientation Help

Kart14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a search, could not find anything on this issue.

iPad will not rotate with the orientation of the iPad.

1 - Orientation is not locked, I have checked several times.
2 - Did a reset nothing, still locked in portrait.
3 - Upgraded to 4.3.3 two days ago no issues until today.
4 - Synced with iTunes.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a search, could not find anything on this issue.

iPad will not rotate with the orientation of the iPad.

1 - Orientation is not locked, I have checked several times.
2 - Did a reset nothing, still locked in portrait.
3 - Upgraded to 4.3.3 two days ago no issues until today.
4 - Synced with iTunes.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

What does the orientation control in 'Settings' say?
Is your orientation lock set to the switch next to the volume control or the multi-task bar?

Get back to us and we'll sort this out!!

Tim

OP
K

Kart14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tim.

Settings - side switch set to Mute.

Multi-task bar - Orientation unlocked.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting the iPad?

Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, and slide off. When the iPad finishes shutting down press the power button again, until the Apple logo appears.

OP
K

Kart14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, tried the power button off, slide and back on.

Also tired power plus home, off then back on.

Still stumped and stuck in portrait.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Huh, I know you checked the orientation lock in the MultiTask bar. Is there a orientation lock icon in the iPad's header, next to the time. It looks like a little lock with a arrow circling it.

Probably not, of course, but I'm trying to get all the facts I can.

Not that I expect this to help, but try a soft reset.

Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. (ignore the power off slider). The iPad should reboot by itself. This will take a bit longer than a normal restart.

Assuming this does not fix it, and I have little hope it will:

Another possibility is that one or more of the accelerometers in your iPad are stuck or broke. Turn it to landscape and gently tap the iPad on the back. Work your way around the edges. If the accelerometer is stuck this may jar it loose.

After that you are looking at restoring the iPad. We can walk you through that, or you can call Apple Support and have them help you. That way if it is still broken you are one step closer to getting a replacement (assuming it is a hardware problem).

OP
K

Kart14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No indicator of locked orientation in header.

Did a soft reset = still portrait.

Tapped around the edges = still portrait.

Did a restore this morning = still portrait.

This is an original iPad that I got on the release date which puts me out of the 1 year warranty. I guess I will head to the Apple store to see what they say.

MacCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email orientation is not changing

I had the problem. It's only a problem with the email app.

Everything else is ok. Games work, so it is not the accelerometer!

Change switch options from "mute" to "screen" and back, to no avail?

Soft reset was not effective, either.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had the problem. It's only a problem with the email app.

Everything else is ok. Games work, so it is not the accelerometer!

Change switch options from "mute" to "screen" and back, to no avail?

Soft reset was not effective, either.

Are you using the standard Mail app, or something else?

lenrev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Couldn't get out of the orientation locked mode.
Though set for mute-lock the lock icon remained at the top and the switch muted audio.

Things got back in sync after I cycled settings into orientation lock then back to audio mute, and cycled the switch.

Len N9IJ
via DroidX using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kart14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to the Apple store today to have them look at the iPad. They agreed that something is wrong with my accelerometer and were willing to replace even though I was at 1 year and 41 days (41 days past my warranty). He brought out replacement and plugged it in to a Mac and it came up with an error screen that the iPad was bad. He went and got another one, it worked, and I was on my way home.

Went to restore "new" ipad from my back-up and it wanted me to update the firmware first. Did this and received an error that the iPad was bad and to see my nearest Apple store.

Back to the store, they agreed that something was wrong. They did not have any more 32 GB first generation iPads. What do they do now? They offered me a iPad 2 as a replacement but they did not have any 32 GB iPad 2s left in the store. So they gave me a 64 GB iPad 2 and on top of that a free black leather cover. What a great day.

I love Apple!!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kart14 said:
Went to the Apple store today to have them look at the iPad. They agreed that something is wrong with my accelerometer and were willing to replace even though I was at 1 year and 41 days (41 days past my warranty). He brought out replacement and plugged it in to a Mac and it came up with an error screen that the iPad was bad. He went and got another one, it worked, and I was on my way home.

Went to restore "new" ipad from my back-up and it wanted me to update the firmware first. Did this and received an error that the iPad was bad and to see my nearest Apple store.

Back to the store, they agreed that something was wrong. They did not have any more 32 GB first generation iPads. What do they do now? They offered me a iPad 2 as a replacement but they did not have any 32 GB iPad 2s left in the store. So they gave me a 64 GB iPad 2 and on top of that a free black leather cover. What a great day.

I love Apple!!

Oh, wow, you are by far the luckiest member I've heard about. Apple love is the greatest!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts