What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered iPad 2 - Whats the first thing I should do?

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apart from registering, itunes etc. Whats the first thing you guys recommend I do...is there a must have app no ipad user should be without? How should an ipad newbie Christen his ipad?

What did you guys do?

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st thing I did was get a cover/case for it......http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334615640&sr=1-1
Then after a few days I bought another iPad 2 because the damn wife would not put it down lol.
There are lots of apps out there which are great but people like different things, so it's really best to try the free version of something before you buy the full version(if possible)
The wife has just got an app called 'Draw Some' and it's basically an app where you draw something and then the person on another iPad, wherever in the world, gets to guess it and then it's his turn, it's extremely addictive. Others like ' GarageBand' which is a brilliant music making app where you can play pretty much any musical instrument and it's also an 8 track recording tool. I'm sure you will love the experience of the iPad 2 and get to grips with it in no time.
Have fun.

gmoubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest Dropbox as an app. Great file sharing app and you can easily send files to yourself(PDF, word, excel, PowerPoint or iWork's files if you will, jpeg) from you computer and you can view them offline. Great free app !!

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest you get your email account set up,and download kindle app.
Later you can explore the overdrive world of books.
Happy days

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Explore the settings app - all the categories. I recently helped a new owner who hadn't discovered that her iPad came with the sound muted. And I got caught by the zoom tap (it was on in triple tap home button). Download the iOS 5 manual to your computer and you can find answers on your computer while you play with your iPad.

OP
youngun

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, please keep the ideas coming! Just took delivery of it this morning - sending this message directly from the ipad! I am loving it so far, so slick...I'm trying to avoid getting smudges on the lovely screen.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing I would do (and something I wish I would have done) is explore alternatives to the Apple-only stuff before investing a lot of money. Specifically for buying music and books. For example, you can buy music from iTunes, but it has DRM it's impossible to use many of those purchases on other devices without breaking the DRM (like if you would ever switch to a non-apple tablet or phone). Alternatively you can buy music from other sources (such as Google and Amazon) and be able to play them on Apple devices and pretty much everything else. Very handy if you would ever switch platforms or just happen to have a variety of devices/platforms in your house.

Same for books. You can buy books using iBooks, but then can only read them on Apple devices. Or you can use the Kindle Apps and it works on everything (I can read a book on my iPad, then switch to my Android phone, then to my PC then to my actual Kindle and it all syncs up to where I left off regardless of the device). Of course there are some iBooks-only stuff, but I wouldn't buy anything from there I can get from other sources.

Just some friendly advice and lessons I've learned. I try not to wall myself in if there's alternatives, because my household uses a combination of devices (iPad, Android phones, Windows PCs, Kindle readers, etc). Even if I was an all-Apple household, I'd still go with something a bit more future proof and versatile when it comes to purchases of things like that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts