What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Google Docs

schrodinger56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to open a Google Doc or Sheet which is stored in iCloud or iCloud Drive (I don't know what the difference is) on an iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't even find a way to store a Google doc in iCloud, or anywhere else outside of Google's apps. Every attempt I make to move, copy, or send a Google Doc results in a PDF, docx (word), and/or a link to the file. You can save the docx or PDF file to iCloud drive using a few different methods.

There is no direct way to convert and save a document from Google Drive (or Google Docs) to iCloud Drive. There are workarounds, including Mailing the document to yourself, moving it to using app that can access both iCloud Drive and Google Drive (like GoodReader), or using a workflow (the Workflow app).

It is possible to copy a docx file from iCloud Drive to Google Drive.

Open the iCloud Drive app, long press on the file you want, choose More from the pop-up menu, then Share. Google Drive will show up as one of the options, provided the app is downloaded on the iPad. Once the document is copied to Google Drive you can open it in Google docs, either form the Google drive app, or from inside the Docs app.

One you've opened a docx file in Google Docs, you can choose to create a Google Docs formated version.

Out of curiosity, why do you want do to this? Moslty it is easier to work with Google Docs in Google Drive.

OP
S

schrodinger56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just deciding which is the most versatile of Cloud services. It appears that Google Drive can accommodate both formats of documents and spreadsheets whereas iCloud only Pages & Numbers.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud Drive can be used to store any file you wish. Word, PDF, jpeg, even mind maps.

When you want to edit those files on your iPad, tap it, and this will open the app from where it was added to iCloud Drive.

OP
S

schrodinger56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a test I put a Google doc and a Google sheet into iCloud Drive via my iMac but when I came to open them on my iPad all that what happened was they were downloaded but not opened in either the Google Docs app or the Google Sheets app.:confused:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The apps don't support iCloud Drive. This hasn't been added by the developers so far.

OP
S

schrodinger56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps don't support iCloud Drive. This hasn't been added by the developers so far.

Thank you. So storing any Google docs, sheets or whatever in iCloud in the expectation of being able to open and work on them on an iPad Pro is not possible, they have to be stored in Google Drive to do so.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you. So storing any Google docs, sheets or whatever in iCloud in the expectation of being able to open and work on them on an iPad Pro is not possible, they have to be stored in Google Drive to do so.

That is correct. Google Docs only supports it's own services for working on documents. It is sometimes possible (if not easy) to store the document somewhere else, but to actually work on it you have to put it back in Google Docs, which will store/sync the document in Google Drive.

While it is possible to work with a Google document offline, it will always sync back to Google Drive when the opportunity arises. In some ways Google's office apps are the opposite of most other productivty apps. Pages, Word, and other's all originated as offline apps. The ability to store and work on documents in the cloud (online) was added later. Google's apps originated as online apps, completely dependent on your internet connection. The ability to work offline was added later, as a fix for those who needed to work on documents when there was (temporarily) no internet connection available.

As a result, Google's services and apps tend to be quite versatile and powerful, as long as you have an internet connection. However, they are only so-so when you don't have the internet, and offline support is only an afterthought.

Basicaly, if you're going to use Google Docs then use them in Google's enviroment. Any attempt to split Google's apps from Google's servies and storage is going to be difficult; because Google doesn't support it; and probably never will.

They are, of course, a lot more flexible when it comes to letting you use Google drive with other apps.

At this time, there is no 'one' cloud service that will do-it-all. If you have any sort of variety in your apps, you're going to find that you need more than one cloud service to get the best use of them. Fortunately, basic storage limits for most cloud services are free, or inexpensive.

Most reactions