What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening a file in an app will descrease memory..

sb666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I store usually my files in file manager or in fileapp pro. I just realized that when I open a file in an app the file won't be simply opened in the app but copied into it. That results in storage increase. If I open for instance a bigger video file what I store in fileapp pro in oplayer than I will have stored the file both in fileapp pro as well as in oplayer too. I never used mac or ios but it's kinda strange. In windows files are stored on a hard drive and can be opened in any suitable program (for instance in Windows media player) without decreasing the memory with the size of the file. I can use up the storage very fast If I try to open for instance a video file in some different players. Is there somehow a way to solve this problem?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I store usually my files in file manager or in fileapp pro. I just realized that when I open a file in an app the file won't be simply opened in the app but copied into it. That results in storage increase. If I open for instance a bigger video file what I store in fileapp pro in oplayer than I will have stored the file both in fileapp pro as well as in oplayer too. I never used mac or ios but it's kinda strange. In windows files are stored on a hard drive and can be opened in any suitable program (for instance in Windows media player) without decreasing the memory with the size of the file. I can use up the storage very fast If I try to open for instance a video file in some different players. Is there somehow a way to solve this problem?

This is the nature of the iPad. Due to security concerns, Apple has sandboxed apps. So, they can't open a file in another app; the file must be copied to the app and then it can be opened. There is no central storage system, each app controls it's own storage and files.

So yes, this will cause duplication. The only solution to this is to delete the file when you are done (delete either from the original or destination app).

Again, it's a security feature and the main difference between an iPad and a "regular" computer.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's also another reason why iOS users don't have to worry about malware and virii. Just do some house keeping every now and then and all will be fine.

mrlewp87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
( Realized my error after copying the text of the last thread for saving. That is, when I selected SEND, it actually meant POST, or SUBMIT. Thought it would open an email window. So, I found in Advanced- the option to DELETE my accidental "post". After 4 failed tries, I gave up and am now Editing my POST or thread. At least now one won't wonder why I Posted a repeat of the last Thread by mickey330- instead of "sending" it? Yes, this discussion, or topic is closed, I know.. So why was I able to accidentally! POST a response? Hey, just wondering. Only asking. :-(

Last edited:

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever try Memory Pro, free or .99 cent version? It will clear out your memory from time to time. I go into multi-tasking view, remove apps that I am not using, then tun Memory Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts