What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OneNote for iPad?!

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been WAITING for OneNote to come out for the iPad since I first ordered my iPad and learned that OneNote was only available for iPhone and iPod Touch. I take my notes for class using OneNote and it would be so much EASIER if there was a OneNote for iPad - and seriously, who wants to take notes on iPhone or iPod, unless it's the only thing available? And I know that some people on here have wanted to see OneNote for iPad as well.

So, I'm dinking around on the app store, and of course, OneNote is listed under iPhone apps - but when I clicked on it and read underneath "Requirements" it says: "Compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.2 or later."

Am I reading this right? Yeah, it's probably (definitely) an iPhone/iPod app that works on the iPad - but it's free (for a limited time) and if it fulfills my needs and does what I need it to do (taking basic handwritten & typed notes in class) then what more could I ask for?

I did download it, but since I don't have my iPad (yet:() I can't really test it out. If anyone wants to take a look, could you post your findings, please? It's free right now, so it's not like you're out anything!

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I down loaded OneNote on my iPad. It is terrible.

You have to run it as 2x app, and it blurs the typing. It is basically a viewer for the OneNote notebooks you have stored on the web. Requires OneNote 2010 for it to work. No handwriting, no markups, no web clipping. Typing only and then you are using the compressed keyboard of the iPhone app running on iPad. It is the typical first attempt for Microsoft, just terrible.

There are so many other note taking programs that put this one to same that it is not worth it. The only reason to download the OneNote program now is to see if you get free upgrades if they ever decide to improve it (which I doubt).

I agree with you that OneNote (fully functional) for the iPad would be a killer app, but Microsoft does not seem to want to acknowlege that iOS exists. They are still hoping that Windows based tablets (probably Windows 8) will take off and win the tablet wars. I think the only way you will see a MS Office tablet based product from Microsoft is on a Windows tablet.

OP
china_cat84

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've been researching this app and others and now I know everything you just told me. It stinks. And then there are apps that get your hopes up - such as MobileNoter - and they just don't do what they should. I thought MobileNoter looked good, until I did some research on it and realized that you can't add to the notebooks, you have to create a new note and sync it back, and it gets filed into "Unfiled Notes" and then you have to put it where it belongs. Plus, you have to pay for the syncing service on top of it, which I would be willing to do IF the app did everything it should.

I am seriously considering getting a RDP app to access my computer remotely while I'm in class and access the OneNote on my PC that way. Which are the least laggy? I've done a search on here, but like all other apps, there's an overwhelming amount of info. I've tried PocketCloud (from my iPhone), but it's a little laggy. Also - does the distance between the device and the desktop matter? I didn't think so, but a friend of mine is convinced that I won't be able to access my desktop via WiFi with an RDP app.

alathea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use RDP all the time on my laptop at home to connect to my desktop at work. The lag is more due to the number of hops you have to take (I RDP to work, then from work to my desktop through a different server within the building. THAT is a bit laggy)

Notes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have anyone tried MagicalPad for iPad?

Have anyone tried MagicalPad for iPad?

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For your info:
I just downloaded OneNote for iPad from the US Store. Works great, but is limited to 500 notes. Upgrade available to go beyond that limit. US store only.

Knut

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
An iPad version of OneNote was released today. It's not universal, so the iPhone version won't update to it; if you want the app you will have to go to the App Store and get it. Like the iPhone version, it is free.

I don't use it (either version), but so far the reviews seem positive. I suspect this is only a big deal for people who already use OneNote on the computer or online.

manic9803

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use One Note at work and it's one of those applications you can't live without once you start using it. Not sure how versatile it'll be for home or personal use, but definitely a great app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use One Note at work and it's one of those applications you can't live without once you start using it. Not sure how versatile it'll be for home or personal use, but definitely a great app.

That's what I figured. You get invested in the app, and then you're trapped, trapped, trapped. :D

Not that Evernote (my dru_ note taker of choice) or any other decent note taking app isn't the same way.

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to give OneNote a try once but it seemed like you need to be logged in to Hotmail just to be able to use it. I'm looking at it now on my iPad (I decided to see what it looks like again so I installed OneNote for iPad) and it's asking me for my Windows Live ID.

Is there no way for me to use it to take notes without being on the internet? It's a bit useless to me if I have to be connected to the cloud just to be able to take notes.

Can you sync the notes to Dropbox or does it have to be only through the Microsoft cloud? I know with Apple notes it uses Apple's iCloud but at least with that I can type notes without having to be online.

Last edited:

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to give OneNote a try once but it seemed like you need to be logged in to Hotmail just to be able to use it. I'm looking at it now on my iPad (I decided to see what it looks like again so I installed OneNote for iPad) and it's asking me for my Windows Live ID.

Is there no way for me to use it to take notes without being on the internet? It's a bit useless to me if I have to be connected to the cloud just to be able to take notes.

Can you sync the notes to Dropbox or does it have to be only through the Microsoft cloud? I know with Apple notes it uses Apple's iCloud but at least with that I can type notes without having to be online.

I use One Note, which in my opinion is very powerfully, the iPad version I use is Outline, at this stage it can only view, but I like its interface and drop box synch , the app developer is going to release the editor version soon, I have tested the other iPad apps and found them sluggish and buggy, especially the Microsoft one.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Outline sample notebook.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340031899.051009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340031899.051009.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 259

Most reactions

Latest posts