What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ipad...two music libraries... is it possible?

Hightime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if you can help me...

I use my new IPAD 2 all the time (would now need surgical removal)...In terms of music, I use it in a couple of ways. One way is to carry my favourite music with me. Works great, does the job.

Now and then I would like to access my 2nd collection of party/dance/disco/pop music in conjunction with a DJ app, or indeed with Itunes itself. In fact, many DJ apps use the Itunes library to stream from or to get playlists etc.

Now here is the problem....

If I load all the DJ music AND my own collection into Itunes it is an enormous mess of albums, artists etc. If I just want to see MY music I have to wade rgough TONS of other stuff that I only want to access now and then.

SO....how can I keep the collections separate? I don't want to keep loading/unloading different collection to suit my mood or needs. I just want to switch between the two so I can see one OR the other.

I have searched before (excuse me if I missed an obvious prior question on this subject), but all other queries don't seem to relate exactly to my problem...

Best regards and thanks in advance

Paul

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also sort by genres. You may have to change some songs in iTunes, but it allows you some flexibility. For example, I put all Pop/Rock under Pop. Christmas music is under Holiday, and then I have Jazz, Easy Listening, and Country. When I am listening for myself, I just select Pop, and it will shuffle my favorites.

OP
H

Hightime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see how this would work to some extent, but here's my anticipated problem...
When I load a whole bunch of compilation CD's I can set the genre to something unique and even set up playlists.
But....when I look at ARTISTS there are hundreds and hundreds of artists that will appear. This would be ok, BUT I like to browse my 'normal' collections by looking at Artists and this would be seriously ruined for me if I have to skip through hundreds of bizarre pop/dance acts just to find the stuff that interests me on a daily basis.
I have the same problem with my IPOD as well, so I already know how frustrating this can be...
...any further thoughts or workarounds guys?
Thanks in advance
Paul

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting an iPhone or iPod touch so you can store your DJ stuff on a separate device?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might look at Music Collector for PC or Mac and its app. Not cheap and I have no idea about how useful it may be, but it might be an option for you.

OP
H

Hightime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at Music collector....
...as I said earlier, I'm using DJ apps which only seem to pull data from Itunes. IF I could store the songs in an app and get the DJ App to pull from that then I could store them separately.
At the moment, it's all looking unworkable sadly....

Most reactions

Latest posts