What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Albert Einstein born on this day in 1879!

One of the seminal geniuses of the last century - intro quote below along w/ a couple of pics. :) Dave

On March 14, 1879, Albert Einstein is born, the son of a Jewish electrical engineer in Ulm, Germany. Einstein’s theories of special and general relativity drastically altered man’s view of the universe, and his work in particle and energy theory helped make possible quantum mechanics and, ultimately, the atomic bomb (Source).
Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 11.10.29 AM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Albert Einstein born on this day in 1879!

One of the seminal geniuses of the last century - intro quote below along w/ a couple of pics. :) Dave

View attachment 70542
The world is fortunate that he left Germany when he did. He was on a visit to the United States in 1933 when Adolf Hitler came to power in Germany and never returned. He settled in the U.S. and became a citizen in 1940.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The world is fortunate that he left Germany when he did. He was on a visit to the United States in 1933 when Adolf Hitler came to power in Germany and never returned. He settled in the U.S. and became a citizen in 1940.

Although after WW II, yet another example of German genius transitioning to the American side, i.e. Wernher von Braun, so important to the development of the early space program in the United States - I'm sure there are many other examples. Dave :)

Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (March 23, 1912 – June 16, 1977) was a German, later an American, aerospace engineer[2] and space architect credited with inventing the V-2 rocket for Nazi Germany and the Saturn V for the United States.[3][4] He was one of the leading figures in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany, where he was a member of the Nazi Party and the SS. Following World War II, he was moved to the United States, along with about 1,500 other scientists, technicians, and engineers, as part of Operation Paperclip, where he developed the rockets that launched United States first space satellite and first series of moon missions. (Source)
Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 10.22.31 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although after WW II, yet another example of German genius transitioning to the American side, i.e. Wernher von Braun, so important to the development of the early space program in the United States - I'm sure there are many other examples. Dave :)

View attachment 70549
His last major project for NASA was developing the Saturn 5 moon rocket, the largest rocket ever successfully launched.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On March 16, 1750, Caroline Lucretia Herschel was born in Hanover. She was astronomer, and discovered several comets. Her brother was Sir William Herschel. She was working with him throughout her career. The crater C. Herschel on the Moon was named after her, as well as an asteroid and a comet.
image.jpeg

William and Caroline Herschel
Caroline Herschel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
United States Military Academy founded today in 1802!

The first major US military academy, i.e. West Point, established early in the Jefferson administration - a wonderful place to visit (which we did about 16 yrs ago on a week-long trip to the Hudson River area) not only for its beautiful location on the river, but for the long list of Notable Graduates (click the link, if interested) - map below along w/ a few pics. Also, there is an excellent PBS video that I own, which is recommended (can be rented on Amazon and likely elsewhere). Dave :)

The United States Military Academy–the first military school in the United States–is founded by Congress for the purpose of educating and training young men in the theory and practice of military science. Located at West Point, New York, the U.S. Military Academy is often simply known as West Point.

Located on the high west bank of New York’s Hudson River, West Point was the site of a Revolutionary-era fort built to protect the Hudson River Valley from British attack. In 1780, Patriot General Benedict Arnold, the commander of the fort, agreed to surrender West Point to the British in exchange for 6,000 pounds. However, the plot was uncovered before it fell into British hands, and Arnold fled to the British for protection (Source).
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 10.19.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 10.12.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 10.13.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 10.17.00 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of the most notable graduates was Robert E. Lee, class of 1829 and commander of the Confederate forces in the Civil War.

Well, Ulysses S. Grant & Dwight D. Eisenhower are two other distinguished war-time generals and former cadets, who also became US Presidents - I've always wondered when Lincoln offered Lee command of the Union Army, which if accepted might have led to a shorter and less bloody Civil War, and also a different US President about the time that Grant was elected (although Lee died in 1870 which would have been in his first term) - BUT, pure speculation on my part. :) Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Ulysses S. Grant & Dwight D. Eisenhower are two other distinguished war-time generals and former cadets, who also became US Presidents - I've always wondered when Lincoln offered Lee command of the Union Army, which if accepted might have led to a shorter and less bloody Civil War, and also a different US President about the time that Grant was elected (although Lee died in 1870 which would have been in his first term) - BUT, pure speculation on my part. :) Dave
Also, if Lee had accepted the command of the Union army, there would be no Arlington National Cemetery, which was built on the Custis family estate, Arlington House, where Lee and his wife lived.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
St. Patrick dies in Ireland on this day in 461 A.D. - HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

My paternal grandmother was born on Beaver Island (upper Lake Michigan - see map below) in the late 1880's - both her parents were Irish (one an immigrant & the other a child of recent immigrants from Ireland) - at that time, the island was pretty much an Irish community and she grew up speaking Gaelic - so, I'm at least a quarter Irish, but probably will not have any green beer today - ;) Dave

On this day in 461 A.D., Saint Patrick, Christian missionary, bishop and apostle of Ireland, dies at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland.

Much of what is known about Patrick’s legendary life comes from the Confessio, a book he wrote during his last years. Born in Great Britain, probably in Scotland, to a well-to-do Christian family of Roman citizenship, Patrick was captured and enslaved at age 16 by Irish marauders. For the next six years, he worked as a herder in Ireland, turning to a deepening religious faith for comfort. Following the counsel of a voice he heard in a dream one night, he escaped and found passage on a ship to Britain, where he was eventually reunited with his family (Source).
ST-PATRICKS-DAY2-images-and-graphics.jpeg
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.37.34 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple flies original Mac team's pirate flag for company's 40th anniversary
By Roger Fingas
Friday, April 01, 2016, 06:40 am PT (09:40 am ET)

Marking the 40th anniversary of the company's founding, Apple on Friday flew a pirate flag over its Cupertino headquarters, in a tribute to the first-generation Macintosh team headed by company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Well, off by just a few days BUT Apple's 40th anniversary started in a garage in the mid-1970s - hard to believe - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 11.42.47 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Merle Haggard Dies Today at 79 Years!

For 'old time' Country Music fans, one of my favorite singers of the genre from the late last century died today - below just the start of his Wiki article (link at end) - in addition to the hall of fame inductions, he also was honored at the Kennedy Center in 2010.

Just pulled out my 7 or 8 CDs of Hag and will give each a spin over the next few days - did a composite of some I enjoy the most, i.e. his dedication recordings to Jimmie Rodgers & Bob Wills and two duet albums w/ several other country favorites - my interest in collecting this music waned in the 1990s - now, I mostly listen to classical music and some jazz. Dave :)

Merle Ronald Haggard (April 6, 1937 – April 6, 2016) was an American country music songwriter, singer, guitarist, fiddler, and instrumentalist. Along with Buck Owens, Haggard and his band the Strangers helped create the Bakersfield sound, which is characterized by the twang of Fender Telecasterand the unique mix with the traditional country steel guitar sound, new vocal harmony styles in which the words are minimal, and a rough edge not heard on the more polished Nashville sound recordings of the same era.

By the 1970s, Haggard was aligned with the growing outlaw country movement, and he continued to release successful albums through the 1990s and into the 2000s. In 1994, he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.[1] In 1997, he was inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame.[2] (Source)
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 4.29.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 4.28.43 PM.png

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
April 6, 1896;

The modern Olympic Games are started in Athens, Greece. Olympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, 120 years ago - WOW! :) I was just curious about the differences in the first Olympics vs. the upcoming one in Rio - quoted below (Source) from the first Athens Olympics, i.e. 43 events w/ 280 male only athletes from just 12 countries - pic below of the Rio predictions - quite a change! Dave :)

Athens 1896 Olympic Games, festival held in Athens that took place April 6–15, 1896. The Athens Games were the first occurrence of the modern Olympic Games.

The inaugural Games of the modern Olympics were attended by as many as 280 athletes, all male, from 12 countries. The athletes competed in 43 events covering athletics (track and field), cycling, swimming, gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, fencing, shooting, and tennis. A festive atmosphere prevailed as foreign athletes were greeted with parades and banquets. A crowd estimated at more than 60,000 attended the opening day of competition.
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 12.26.27 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lee Surrenders to Grant on April 9, 1865 at Appomattox, Virginia!

Appomattox Court House is just east of Lynchburg (see map) - Lee was retreating west in early April leaving the Petersburg Siege - on this day in 1865, he surrender to U.S. Grant in the house of Wilmer McLean, who lived at Manassas Junction (site of the first battle of Bull Run) in July 1861 - he wanted to 'escape' the war, but amazingly his house was the site of its effective end (for more - see my travelogue from last year). Dave :

At Appomattox, Virginia, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders his 28,000 troops to Union General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the American Civil War. Forced to abandon the Confederate capital of Richmond, blocked from joining the surviving Confederate force in North Carolina, and harassed constantly by Union cavalry, Lee had no other option.

In retreating from the Union army’s Appomattox Campaign, the Army of Northern Virginia had stumbled through the Virginia countryside stripped of food and supplies. At one point, Union cavalry forces under General Philip Sheridan had actually outrun Lee’s army, blocking their retreat and taking 6,000 prisoners at Sayler’s Creek. Desertions were mounting daily, and by April 8 the Confederates were surrounded with no possibility of escape. On April 9, Lee sent a message to Grant announcing his willingness to surrender. The two generals met in the parlor of the Wilmer McLean home at one o’clock in the afternoon (Source).
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.08.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.12.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.11.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 11.10.06 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts