What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On The Right???

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Don't know what I hit today but anything I open up from an email, link an so on ends up on the right side in a 3in band Top to bottom.
IPAD is always horizontal.
Can't read anything and can't make stuff bigger!!
Emails are all ok.
What happened???
IPAD 5th Gen 15.3.1

Thanks!!! Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve got Safari open in either slide over or split view.

Either way, tap the three dots at the top center of the of the Mail app, then tap the left icon. This is the full screen mode. The other’s are for creating a split view and slide over view, in that order.

5BACD9A0-C045-41DA-A3CA-E8F359D232C2.jpeg

Once you’ve got the screen the way you want, you can experiment with the other views. They can come in handy if you like having two apps available at once. Slide over is handy if you want an app like Twitter or Notes to be easily to get to, but also easy to get out of the way without making the main app smaller.

Split view is good if you’re trying to use two apps at the same time. Say you’re reading something and want to take notes, or browsing the web while having a message chat with a friend. Lots of use cases.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Either way, tap the three dots at the top center of the of the Mail app, then tap the left icon. This is the full screen mode. The other’s are for creating a split view and slide over view, in that order.

View attachment 95569
Once you’ve got the screen the way you want, you can experiment with the other views. They can come in handy if you like having two apps available at once. Slide over is handy if you want an app like Twitter or Notes to be easily to get to, but also easy to get out of the way without making the main app smaller.

Split view is good if you’re trying to use two apps at the same time. Say you’re reading something and want to take notes, or browsing the web while having a message chat with a friend. Lots of use cases.

Yes!!! That's it twerppoet......
I remember seeing those three icons somewhere along the way today and I must have tapped one.......or two!!
I'm ok now.......Thanks.....Ken

Qndnile84

iPF Noob
Reaction score

View attachment 95569

Is there any way to keep those from appearing at all? Not particularly fond of having then show up every single time I open Mail, and often when I open Safari.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are talking about slide-over and split view, all you have to do is dismiss them. They won't re-open the next tie you open the app. When you pair apps in a split view (or slide-over) they remember this view and keep it until you change back to a single view.

If you are talking about the thumbnails that appear at the bottom of the screen when an app opens, if you swipe up on them they will go away. They will not reappear unless you open secondary screens for the apps again, or tap the three dot icon at the top.

You can not disable these multitask features.

Actually, most of these features existed in iPadOS 14, they were just harder to access. The three dot icon and thumbnails make it easier to use them. For those of us who used these features, this is a blessing. For those that never did and don't want to, I guess it's an annoying intrusion of things you don't care about.

Most reactions

Latest posts