What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offline map app

gsr1379

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good app for offline maps something that would work for most of the USA? I have downloaded direct u. It was to slow to be useful. I am kind of surprised that Thomas guide does not have some sort of an app. Free or paid i do not care

Thanks

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oddly enough there is one called "Offmaps".....

"OffMaps allows you to access searchable maps, your position and bookmarks wherever you are, even offline and abroad. OffMaps stores maps directly on your device for any area and lets you search the map offline.
Get access to maps of ALL US COUNTIES and thousands of international destinations (more than any other app in the store): over 4500 Guides in over 90 countries."

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OziExplorer

This is a GPS mapping application intended for hiking, boating and private aviation and is well established in the Windows and Windows Mobile world. They are in the process of developing and iPad/iPhone version. I will be interested to see whether it supports BlueTooth GPS on WiFi only iPads.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a GPS mapping application intended for hiking, boating and private aviation and is well established in the Windows and Windows Mobile world. They are in the process of developing and iPad/iPhone version. I will be interested to see whether it supports BlueTooth GPS on WiFi only iPads.

Well, there was definitely mention of an iPad version on their web site a month or so ago but seems to have vanished, there is now only mention of Android:(.

A couple of other options, from this part of world, are NIXANZ and MemoryMap.

The former supports OziExplorer calibrated maps which means that there are lots of them available. OziExplorer has a global reputation so that means world wide maps, and you can do it yourself anyway.

I have used MemoryMap on a WM Phone while in NZ and it is quite good although not a patch on OziExplorer.

Last edited:

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent offline map app as well. I just downloaded Galileo Offline Maps, and it doesn't appear that I can type in an address or street and get directions, I can just scroll around and look at stuff. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a map. If I'm looking for a street I never heard of I could probably find it faster actually driving than zooming around on this map. I don't care if it's a free app or a paid app, but a digital Thomas Guide would be very convenient. I guess I'll have to dig the paper one out of the garage for tomorrow though.

Most reactions

Latest posts