What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers and quick office

froggyboxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought docs to go and it does not fill my needs.

Before I also buy members and quick office, any one out there have these apps?

Do drop down lists work on their excel version?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've only used Numbers. Since I don't need anything other than occasional and limited compatibility with Excel, I've never had any reason to try the others.

I also have an iMac and the OS X version of Numbers, which greatly expands what I can do, compatibly wise, if I'm willing to spend a little more effort moving the file to the computer first.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I've only used Numbers. Since I don't need anything other than occasional and limited compatibility with Excel, I've never had any reason to try the others.

I also have an iMac and the OS X version of Numbers, which greatly expands what I can do, compatibly wise, if I'm willing to spend a little more effort moving the file to the computer first.

Since you have an iMac it is probably best to use apple apps. I only have Pages for iPad 2 and iPhone 4 as that is all I need at the moment. I have a PC desktop so I guess it doesn't really matter for me. Don't feel like spending the $$$ trying them all out unless there are trial apps available which I think apple has don away with.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What it boils down to is that if you are primarily going to create and work with your documents on the iPad, and do not need the fancier features in Excel, then Numbers will be best. If you need to move documents between Excel on a computer and the iPad a lot, and get a few other (but hardly all) Excel features, Documents to Go seems to be the favorite with QuickOffice coming in a close second. None of the apps are 100% compatible with Excel.

This is not my opinion of the apps themselves, but my impression from reading many reviews and posts in this forum and elsewhere.

From that point on it's all up to you to decide where your work needs are, and research what app will support those needs best. Unless you are under pressure to get something now, you can take your time reading here and elsewhere (like the developer's websites) before making up your mind.

Good luck.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
What it boils down to is that if you are primarily going to create and work with your documents on the iPad, and do not need the fancier features in Excel, then Numbers will be best. If you need to move documents between Excel on a computer and the iPad a lot, and get a few other (but hardly all) Excel features, Documents to Go seems to be the favorite with QuickOffice coming in a close second. None of the apps are 100% compatible with Excel.

This is not my opinion of the apps themselves, but my impression from reading many reviews and posts in this forum and elsewhere.

From that point on it's all up to you to decide where your work needs are, and research what app will support those needs best. Unless you are under pressure to get something now, you can take your time reading here and elsewhere (like the developer's websites) before making up your mind.

Good luck.

All I need to do is to be able to access docs on the iPad when I need. Still trying to figure out how to upload word / pages docs onto websites.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCab Mobile can upload to most sites, but you have to use the Open In feature to move the documents from it's originating app to iCab Mobile first. You can not do that with Numbers or Pages. They don't have the Open In feature. There are other ways to get around it, but only for selected cloud storage solutions.

The other Office apps are somewhat more flexible in what services they can use to store docs in the cloud, but they still won't directly upload to a website.

Because there is no general file system, no web browser or app can select a file not stored in that app's folders for uploading. This is why Safari won't even give you the option. It has no file system for you to choose from. iCab Mobile's developers included a file system in the app, but you have to get the files there before they can be uploaded.

Most people just go with cloud storage like DropBox or Box.net. You can upload files there, then use their public links to share, mail or reference the files in other places. Both offer limited free accounts. DropBox works well with Documents to Go and QuickOffice. The iWorks suite needs an additional pay-for DropDAV account to work both ways with DropBox. iWorks does fine using the WebDav services of Box.net, but the box net account does not support local file syncing with your computer, not for free anyway. You can mount the service as a drive, or use the browser. Not as nice as DropBoxes folder syncing.

To just move files back and forth, and view most of them, GoodReader can access (both ways) several different cloud services, including both DropBox and Box.net. It's also an excellent PDF reader/annotator. Worth getting in it's own right for the large number of things it does.

OP
F

froggyboxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been working with numbers now for a while, and it does allow for drop down boxes.

This has meant I am able to create spread sheets with drop down boxes for all the options on my costings at work.

It has made quoting so quick and accurate, as selecting one option activates a set cost to appear in another cell, then as I work through all the drop downs a cost appears for each till I have my price.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been working with numbers now for a while, and it does allow for drop down boxes.

Thank you for pointing that out. I had't realized that the last update included new cell formats, including pop-up menus. There are a couple other new, interesting formats as well.

Edit: Whoa, you can merge cells now too. How did I miss this stuff!

Last edited:

macdaddio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Quick office hd and drop box and now I have Numbers too. My million dollar question is: How can I view documents off line with Quick office hd, I can do it with drop box but i would also like to do same with quick office hd.
I use quick office hd to view my price list and photos to show Customers and I would prefer to use quick office hd rather than drop box.
Does any one know how I can send docs and files to my quick office hd and save it there for off line use?

OP
F

froggyboxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have used docs to go to work off line as it syncs so easily.

there is a program you download, and then when the pad and laptop are on the same network, they sync so that any work i do on one, updates on the other device.

i makes it so easy to work on two devices.

ChaystEr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May i ask if numbers can attach pictures on its spreadsheet? Im using office hd and it does not so.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes you can. Click on the 'mountain' button then 'media' and from there you can select an image to add to your spreadsheet.

Most reactions