What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Novice Query

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I have the Apple Camera Connection Kit. I can import my images just fine.

So the silly question of the day is this: Why can't I also import .doc and .txt files? It would be convenient to do that. As far as my simplistic reasoning goes, it should it make a difference what kind of file is on the card; the only problem is running or opening files the iPad does not recognize.

I'll gladly accept a few links to a technical explanation should you not want to answer here on the list. Or please answer; I know it is a basic question.

I can see not being able to run Windows EXE files, or perhaps standard OSX files. Seems to me, there has to be a way to do what it is I want to do. In an ideal world, I could create folders on the SD card, too.

Does the IOS software look at the headers in the actual file?

I just jailbroken my iPad and perhaps there is an app for my needs?

Bob Maxey

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is any app that will handle this it has to be iFile. The only tricky part is figuring out where to place the files assuming you want to have them available to apps. Most apps are going to require their own copy of the file so you need to first find where the app's install directory is and then where under that directory the files need to be placed. I use to do this to sync my Stanza last read locations between my iPod Touch and iPad, so you should be able to do what you want. It takes a little playing but once you figure out where things go it isn't that bad.

Most reactions