What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro SD Hack

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are there hacks that allow us to use our flash drives yet?

I know about the camera connection kit. It allows us to load images and music. Seems reasonable to assume (dangerous word) that there must be a way to also load .doc and .txt files as well.

My noooobeee mind is thinking since one kind of file can be loaded, another type of file should be able to be loaded; the CC Kit allows for file transfers fromn SD cards, so why just those two kinds Apple has deemed allowable? Certainly, the file transfer mechanism is in place and functioning so there is no technical roadblocks in place.

Or is it a matter of the voltage issue I read about that does not allow for using Flash Drives? Apparently, you need more voltage than the port can provide. And the CC kit lets us use SD cards, so voltage is perhaps not the issue?

Help me please.

Bob Maxey

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its jailbroken, cydia app, Ifiles can probaly read the flash drive. Thats "if" the voltage is within apples new standard, which SUX! Lol if ifiles can read anytype of file from camera connection kit and SD card, then flashdrives "should" do the same.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If its jailbroken, cydia app, Ifiles can probaly read the flash drive. Thats "if" the voltage is within apples new standard, which SUX! Lol if ifiles can read anytype of file from camera connection kit and SD card, then flashdrives "should" do the same.

I just read about a USB Flash Drive with a built WiFi Router. It is called the AirStash drive. Apparently, you load your crap onto the drive like usual, and that's it. When you want to access your stuff on the flash drive, the iPad will (supposedly) have no problem reading the files, regardless of what format.

Apparently, it can stream music and video files due to a built-in Multi Media Server.

About 2 inches by 3/4 inches and very thin.

Not so sure if that is the answer, but it is one possible answer.

Bob Maxey

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I just found the solution and it required nothing, just trying and hoping. Basically, my iPad is jailbroken. When I use either component of the CC Kit, iFile will indeed read both my SD card as well as my 3 gig Flash Drive.

No warnings, either, Just plug and play.

This solved a serious problem for me and thank God for this forum and its members. I read a post that told me a JB iPad and iFile is all you need, but he mentioned SD cards. I tried my USB Flash Drive and it just simply works.

I am still amazed when something works like it is supposed to work.

Bob Maxey

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just found the solution and it required nothing, just trying and hoping. Basically, my iPad is jailbroken. When I use either component of the CC Kit, iFile will indeed read both my SD card as well as my 3 gig Flash Drive.

No warnings, either, Just plug and play.

This solved a serious problem for me and thank God for this forum and its members. I read a post that told me a JB iPad and iFile is all you need, but he mentioned SD cards. I tried my USB Flash Drive and it just simply works.

I am still amazed when something works like it is supposed to work.

Bob Maxey

Glad to hear it wrked out for ya ;-)

domsdabomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Few Tips I Haven't Seen Mentioned

A couple things I've noticed when using flash drives with the usb connector cck:

1. It can't have pre-installed Software, it must be squeeky clean.
2. the smaller the better, they consume less power
3. don't use a flash drive that has a larger light on it

I have alot of drives lying around, maybe this is common sense but thought I'd throw it out there, honestly regular SD cards are the way to go, they are pretty cheap nowadays compared to like a 64gig micro sd card etc.. etc..

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A couple things I've noticed when using flash drives with the usb connector cck:

1. It can't have pre-installed Software, it must be squeeky clean.
2. the smaller the better, they consume less power
3. don't use a flash drive that has a larger light on it

I have alot of drives lying around, maybe this is common sense but thought I'd throw it out there, honestly regular SD cards are the way to go, they are pretty cheap nowadays compared to like a 64gig micro sd card etc.. etc..

My working PNY drive has a flash drive manager and a disperate assortment of file types. No offence, but are you certain your point #1 is accurate? I am not qualified to explain why it is or not. I really dont need programs on my drive so it is not an issue for me, at least.

Besides, the flash manager or other exe files would not open on the iPad anyway.

It also has n LED. I might try a 4 GB drive, however. But like I said, my tiny little SD card has far more capacity than I likely need for my specific applications.

I am just glad it works.

Bob Maxey

Jaap Dennink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maximum capacity (micro)SD?

Is there any maximum on SD or microSD capacity in Gb which is compatible with iPad+JB+USB-microSDcard-reader?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jaap Dennink said:
Is there any maximum on SD or microSD capacity in Gb which is compatible with iPad+JB+USB-microSDcard-reader?

Not that I know of. They only go so high anyways right, 32 gb for micro n like 60 something for SD? Either way, ifiles will pick it up and let u see whatever is in it, all files, as long as it's thru the CCK.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to buy the camera connection kit that plugs directly into the 30pin connector and has a built in card reader.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
You have to buy the camera connection kit that plugs directly into the 30pin connector and has a built in card reader.

Thank you I will get one of those then.

Sent from my iPad 32gb WIFI 3G 1st generation.

Most reactions

Latest posts