What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notetaker app and Dropbox

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have need for a notetaking app and need it to do some specific things. I have searched here and in the App store, read some of the threads about note taking apps here but cannot see what I am looking for.

I need an app to take notes that can:
1. VERY IMPORTANT - Upload to Dropbox
2. Ability to handwrite notes
3. Ability to draw
4. Ability to use keyboard
5. All on the same note

Voice not needed, a nice to have. Ability to add photos not needed, a nice to have.

**** Very important is Dropbox. ****

I need to be able to do a site survey, type notes, draw rough floor plans with locations of monitors/pc/controllers and then add labels with keyboard or stylus.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

EnergyHandyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
EnergyHandyman.com
Use Screen-Shots

Your needs are very justifiable. I don't know of a good app for you but would suggest using the screen shot feature more. You can use the camera, take a photo, write some notes take a screen shot, then get the camera out again and then just upload a series of photos to drop-box which is a staple behavior of mine.
original ipad, iphone 3gs

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Except for the Dropbox support, looks as if you need Notes Plus. But, don't despair about no Dropbox support. The developer's web site states he's actively working on Dropbox integration, with an ETA of the end of July. Looks as if he's aiming for upload first, then to modify that for full Dropbox support. Looks promising (and this developer is very good at updating this app - and it's a great app!).

Other than that, for the nonce, maybe try Goodreader? Yeah, it's not so good at taking notes (as in, like a real note pad), but you can annotate on a PDF. So, maybe create a blank PDF with a large square/rectangle on it so you can use it as a template for your rough floor plans. You can keep the blank PDF in Goodreader for ease of use and just create new ones as you need them (you can copy files in Goodreader...).

I say Goodreader because it is awesome with its Dropbox support and its internal file system management. Might be a good thing to use until Notes Plus gets its Dropbox capabilities ... ?

Marilyn

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thansk for the quick replies.

Handyman - I currently do that with my phone, I use Genius Scan for both site surveys and capturing my receipts for expenses. If I had a iPad2 I would use that camera. I upload it all to Dropbox but it is just the pics.

Marilyn, that maybe the route for me to go for now. I have Notes Plus but never thought about using Good Reader for PDF markup. That is a great idea and your right, Good Reader Dropbax support is awesome.

Thanks for these ideas, anymore to throw at me?

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the app Notability a lot. From what I can tell, it can do what you are asking for, and has an easy DropBox connectivity.

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
John,
Thanks for that. That may be exactly what Im looking for. It can freehand and draw shapes which will be a plus. I'm going to play around with it next week. I appreciate to pointer.

jsmizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rsava, you should check out the following two apps & see if they fit the bill: "Notes Plus" and "Upad".

Let me know if you like either one!

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for those two jsmizzle. I have Notes Plus and it is still lacking Dropbox. Marilyn did note that the developer is coming-out with that.
I will have to try Upad. It looks like it may be worth a look. Thanks!

wag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPAD for certain. the best in my opinion and i have notetaker hd, iannotate and few other cheaper ones. dont have notes plus, noteshelf or docAs to compare. but Upad is by far everything you want in my opinion. hope this helps. later.

also try print central pro or print bureau. they are essentially print n share with all the upgrades for cheaper.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wag said:
UPAD for certain. the best in my opinion and i have notetaker hd, iannotate and few other cheaper ones. dont have notes plus, noteshelf or docAs to compare. but Upad is by far everything you want in my opinion. hope this helps. later.

also try print central pro or print bureau. they are essentially print n share with all the upgrades for cheaper.

I certainly agree that UPAD is outstanding, unfortunately it does not have Dropbox integration. iOS 5 may cover this aspect shortly though.

Last edited:
OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly agree that UPAD is outstanding, unfortunately it does not have Dropbox integration. iOS 5 may cover this aspect shortly though.

Yes, Upad is pretty nice. It does export out to Dropbox, if you export to PDF, the next popup asks if you want to export out of Upad and then gives the option of Dropbox.

However, I cannot find the ability to add a pic. I know this was a "nice to have" in my original requirement but Notability has this.

So far Notability is the leader. It has all the requirements plus pics and voice. I can take pics with my iPhone, use bump to transfer the pics, add them to Notability, annotate, sketch, label, etc and upload them directly to my shared Dropbox folder for the sales team to make a quote.

So far so good, any more suggestions?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rsava said:
Yes, Upad is pretty nice. It does export out to Dropbox, if you export to PDF, the next popup asks if you want to export out of Upad and then gives the option of Dropbox.
I see that now, thank you. I think that I may have been a little too busy lately taking notes about note taking apps. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions