What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes Safe

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lot of personal info (passwords, social security numbers, etc.) stored in the NOTE section of the iPad. Is this safe? If it isn't, what do you suggest I do?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's probably best to not leave your SSN in notes as it can be extracted if someone has access to your root filesystem. I leave my confidential/sensitive content with 1Password usually, as it's accessible through almost every platform and is equally secure as the underground bunker in the White House.

OP
G

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's probably best to not leave your SSN in notes as it can be extracted if someone has access to your root filesystem. I leave my confidential/sensitive content with 1Password usually, as it's accessible through almost every platform and is equally secure as the underground bunker in the White House.

OP
G

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! What is a "root file system"? What would you suggest I do at this time since I have already stored ss# & passwords.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Root file system is analogous to your C:\ drive in My Computer (for Windows) or Macintosh HD (for Mac OS). It's the mapping out of directories where everything is stored in one form or another. Much like how programs are installed in the Program Files directory, the same is done for Notes on iOS, where it's stored in a specific path universally on iOS.

You can always delete the notes (after backing them up of course). For sensitive information such as SSN and passwords, it's best to use an app that encrypts the data with AES encryption such as 1Password. I can't say for any other encryption application, but 1Password is my go-to. It does run you a pretty penny for the app for the PRO IAP (in-app purchase), which is separate from the computer license, but for the sake of security, The about $100 or so to get the total package (for multiple computers as well as iOS and Android for me) far outweighs the trouble of getting my SSN and account information compromised.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Enpass also got good reviews (and lets you sync your data across different iOS devices as well as different platforms -- no need to retype any data on my iPhone if I just entered in on my iPad, for example).

http://enpass.sinew.in/

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Enpass also got good reviews (and lets you sync your data across different iOS devices as well as different platforms -- no need to retype any data on my iPhone if I just entered in on my iPad, for example).

http://enpass.sinew.in/

Interesting. I'll look into this and add that to my repertoire for alternatives. Thanks for the share.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another alternative.

Evernote has the ability to lock the app or just individual notebooks, and the ability to encrypt and password protect selected text inside a note.

Not as secure as a full password protection app, but a more powerful and flexible note taking tool.

OP
G

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Root file system is analogous to your C:\ drive in My Computer (for Windows) or Macintosh HD (for Mac OS). It's the mapping out of directories where everything is stored in one form or another. Much like how programs are installed in the Program Files directory, the same is done for Notes on iOS, where it's stored in a specific path universally on iOS.

You can always delete the notes (after backing them up of course). For sensitive information such as SSN and passwords, it's best to use an app that encrypts the data with AES encryption such as 1Password. I can't say for any other encryption application, but 1Password is my go-to. It does run you a pretty penny for the app for the PRO IAP (in-app purchase), which is separate from the computer license, but for the sake of security, The about $100 or so to get the total package (for multiple computers as well as iOS and Android for me) far outweighs the trouble of getting my SSN and account information compromised.

OP
G

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is "1Password" similar to "KEEPASS"? Also, if I delete a "Note" can it or any part of it (ss#) be retrieved?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never heard of Keepass but from browsing it real quick, it's similar I guess.

Most reactions