What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

notes file empty

chadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a laptop ---- the wife uses an ipad2 which I try to keep running smooth, she said to me my ipad is asking to update clicked ok on an update which I think was icloud after update the icons have gone different which is ok but the note file icon when you click on it its empty ???? she had lots of cooking recipes plus phone numbers ect ect all gone not a happy sight to see haha could anyone tell me where they have gone !!!!!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You updated the software of her iPad, so I think you're on iOS 7 now.

After updating, a reset is recommended: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both.
Take a look at the app afterwards. If the notes appear again, it just needed the reset to sync them to your iPad again. If they're still missing, please tell us which account she uses to get her notes there: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud...

OP
C

chadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many thanks J A press and hold Home and Power button no joy ? in the notes icon on the desktop she would just type in menus phone numbers ect ?? would her email have an effect on this ? reason I ask she had a blueyonder account which stopped working so now she has a gmail account

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has an effect on it, as you may see from my screenshot:

image-2661309191.jpg

It shows the email accounts that were syncing to Notes the moment I took it.
So take a look at Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. Tap the Gmail account and make sure that Notes is enabled there.
If she has an iCloud account, it's more likely that her notes are saved there. So also look at iCloud (either in Mails... or in Settings - iCloud).

OP
C

chadda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks J A great think am nearly her old email address still in icloud account should I delete this account ? have updated her mail contacts account once again many thanks

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be sure: she uses the old email address for her iCloud account?

You don't need to do it. The account can still be accessed through a browser (not on iPad), in spite of the old email address, which is now an iCloud email address only, I guess.
If you delete the account, the backups of this iCloud account will be deleted as well. Also, before doing so, make sure that in Settings - iCloud "Find my iPad" is disabled.
You have the possibility to keep contacts, notes, .. on her device when you delete it. A popup will ask you what you prefer. As soon as you set up an iCloud account with another email address, you can merge the data kept on the device with that one. If you don't keep these on her device, she'll lose contacts, notes, reminders, calendar entries she added with this account, Safari bookmarks and favorites,...

Most reactions

Latest posts