What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note app that really works....

OP
J

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still trying to find NTHD and Dropbox.

I emailed the developer and he even said no

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still trying to find NTHD and Dropbox.

I emailed the developer and he even said no
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is you want to do with NTHD and Dropbox. When I punch Output, Done, have open PDF selected, punch Start, up comes the "Open In..." box, and DropBox is there as an option. I click on DropBox and whoosh, the PDF is in DropBox. I know it works 'cause I just tried it (have never tried it before, mind you). I must be missing something.

I use NTHD almost exclusively for maths, very rarely for reams of words. Lately when I do want to take lots of handwritten notes I've been using Noteshelf. Due to its excellent auto advance system I'd like to use Notes Plus but a few things about it annoy me.

I agree with jsh about practice.

I'd also say that it's been very useful to me to have more than one note-taking app on my iPad. I often have NTHD, Noteshelf, neu.Notes and Notabilty all going at the same time. I do the same with readers: Good Reader, iBooks, iFiles, iAnnotate. Switching from file to file with a push of the home button rather than having to move around in one app when you're juggling a number of documents.

I don't know what you mean about the blue dot in NTHD.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What about Underscore Notify? It is $1.99 in the App Store. I'll have to admit I haven't used it much, mainly because I'm hoping for a good handwriting recognition app. But this thread seems to be about hand written notes wo/ recognition. Notify does to impress me in its ability to pan around a page to edit or insert text. Also able to move text around on a page.

That said Underscore Notify also has hand writing recognition as a $2.99 in app purchase, which I do NOT like. It uses the WritePad engine, but seems to be less effective than PhatPad in actual use. And that's why I haven't tried it as much.

After trying a lot of hand writing recognition apps, I'm starting to think I'd be better off trying to relearn my childhood hand writing skills leave real text entry to the keyboard.

Underscore Notify has gotten some mediocre reviews lately in the App Store, some of which don't match my experience. I do agree with jsh1120's comment, that you need to buy a number of apps and try them and that is takes practice. My iPad is littered with many such apps.

This is my shameless plug for Underscore Notify. And your mileage probably will vary...

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used Underscore a little bit. I thought it had more fluid handwriting than PhatPad (unless that's been improved lately). It was a decent, versatile program, but I did have stability issues which left a bit of a bad impression.

In my opinion, if you use a handwriting app, one of the most important features is how fast and smooth it renders the ink. That's one reason I can't use many of the apps like NoteTaker. It's distracting if it's not as fast as true handwriting, mimicking as well as possible pen on paper. UPad and Noteshelf are excellent for that, as is Penultimate though they might have other reasons that make them inappropriate as everyday note-taking.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The blue dot on the left of auto advance screen. It tells you where you left off instead of showing the words like notesplus.

Are you using an iPad2? I'm using an iPad1 running iOS4.3 with the latest version of NTHD (v6.5). I've been using the app for 11 months and have never seen a blue dot on the left of the auto advance screen. I see a grey area in which I can position the next letter quite easily.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you use a handwriting app, one of the most important features is how fast and smooth it renders the ink. That's one reason I can't use many of the apps like NoteTaker. It's distracting if it's not as fast as true handwriting, mimicking as well as possible pen on paper. UPad and Noteshelf are excellent for that, as is Penultimate ...
For the life of me I can't see any difference in speed/smoothness between those four apps.

OP
J

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using an iPad2? I'm using an iPad1 running iOS4.3 with the latest version of NTHD (v6.5). I've been using the app for 11 months and have never seen a blue dot on the left of the auto advance screen. I see a grey area in which I can position the next letter quite easily.

I will screen shot it or try to

OP
J

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blue Dot

Here is shot of the blue dot - can see in the gray area, it is supposed to be exactly where you left off on the right side so you could essentially pick up in mid-word.

photo.JPG

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whoah, there it is! I've never noticed it before. Shows you how little I use auto-advance. After playing with it for 30 seconds I've got to say it makes using auto-advance even easier. Thanks for the tip, and sorry for implying that you might have been hallucinating. :)

Btw, on my computer and iPad, that dot doesn't look blue to me. More like a shade somewhere between puce and taupe.

OP
J

juniorgolf18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoah, there it is! I've never noticed it before. Shows you how little I use auto-advance. After playing with it for 30 seconds I've got to say it makes using auto-advance even easier. Thanks for the tip, and sorry for implying that you might have been hallucinating. :)

Btw, on my computer and iPad, that dot doesn't look blue to me. More like a shade somewhere between puce and taupe.

LOL, funny. It's there for sure. Glad its helping.

One tidbit - Notability just put out an upgrade - now has default paper options, and more...

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about Underscore Notify? It is $1.99 in the App Store. I'll have to admit I haven't used it much, mainly because I'm hoping for a good handwriting recognition app. But this thread seems to be about hand written notes wo/ recognition. Notify does to impress me in its ability to pan around a page to edit or insert text. Also able to move text around on a page.

That said Underscore Notify also has hand writing recognition as a $2.99 in app purchase, which I do NOT like. It uses the WritePad engine, but seems to be less effective than PhatPad in actual use. And that's why I haven't tried it as much.

After trying a lot of hand writing recognition apps, I'm starting to think I'd be better off trying to relearn my childhood hand writing skills leave real text entry to the keyboard.

Underscore Notify has gotten some mediocre reviews lately in the App Store, some of which don't match my experience. I do agree with jsh1120's comment, that you need to buy a number of apps and try them and that is takes practice. My iPad is littered with many such apps.

This is my shameless plug for Underscore Notify. And your mileage probably will vary...

It does bear noting that PhatPad and WritePad use the same handwriting recognition engine.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
It does bear noting that PhatPad and WritePad use the same handwriting recognition engine.

Agreed! I think 7notes has the best recognition outside of MyScript Memo. Finding I'm such a keyboard person that the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is simply the best for me. Need to take a few weeks and learn handwriting all over again. A doctor called it atrophy when you lose a skill to non use. I have handwriting atrophy and there isn't an app out there that will work until I overcome it, lol!

Most reactions