What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No alerts, silent mode / volume buttons

distill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to carry my iPad to classical concerts and other occasions where I can't have it suddenly beeping and alerting. In the settings, there is Notifications On/Off. Probably we can assume that being Off, there will be no beeps whatsoever. Correct?

How about if I only put the volume to zero - are any apps capable (including any whacky 3rd party apps) of causing audible alerts if the volume is zero?

And finally, if I push the power button for 3 seconds or so and switch off iPad fully, is it capable of alerting me in that state?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mute switch on the side should mute all sounds except the alarm clock. Tapping the lock button on the top just turns the display off so it will still alert you. The notifications option just controls what 3rd party apps are allowed to notify you. I prefer 3rd party apps just to display a badge not a sound....

Last edited:

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mute switch on the side should mute all sounds except the alarm clock. Tapping the lock button on the top just turns the display off so it will still alert you. The notifications option just controls what 3rd party apps are allowed to notify you. I prefer 3rd party apps just to display a badge not a sound....
It is possible he/she hasn't upgraded to iOS 4, yet, in which case it isn't a mute switch for him/her. That is the obvious solution for him/her, though.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible he/she hasn't upgraded to iOS 4, yet, in which case it isn't a mute switch for him/her. That is the obvious solution for him/her, though.

Yes, your right. It does need to be updated to 4.2.1 for the mute to work thanks for pointing that out!

OP
D

distill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the newest iOS. So the rotation lock is moved from the physical button to a software button: double-click home button, swipe the bottom pane to right and press the rotation icon. And now the physical switch with a red spot is mute.

Let me confirm the following:

So volume zero (mute) will NOT mute the Alarm clock.

Physical mute button (on mute): All possible sounds are off also on standby mode?

Holding power button for 3 seconds (and confirm by sliding): all sound alerts are muted or not?

Settings / Notifications off will mute all possible sounds on standby mode or not?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So volume zero (mute) will NOT mute the Alarm clock.

Answer: No

Physical mute button (on mute): All possible sounds are off also on standby mode?

Answer: Standby mode has no difference on alert sound(they will still chime)
Answer: Physical mute switch ALL sounds off

Holding power button for 3 seconds (and confirm by sliding): all sound alerts are muted or not?

Answer: Completely turning the device off. (device cannot alert because it's off)

Settings / Notifications off will mute all possible sounds on standby mode or not?

Answer: Settings/notifications just changes the 3rd party app notifications so stock apps will still alert.

NSX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem/question. The ONLY way I can silence the alerts is to turn the iPad off. No setting works to accomplish this. I have the latest software. Help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF! With "no settings work" you also mean Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts - Change with Buttons is enabled?
In Settings - Sounds - Sounds, most of these can be set to "None", so you wouldn't hear reminders, ...

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And in addition, to make sure your iPad behaves and is seen but not heard, you can go Settings>Do Not Disturb. And check all the settings within that.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Most reactions