What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie questions

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This iPad 2 is my first Apple device. I've managed to find the answers to most of my questions, but there are still some things I need help with.

- When typing, how do I enter a tab character? Is there a way to Undo without going to the second keyboard?

- I know how to Select a word, or Select All, but is there a fast way to select a line or a sentence? ("faster" than dragging the handles)

- If I want to close the current app (not just switch to something else) I have to press the Home key, then press it twice more to bring up the Recent apps, then hold an icon to make them jiggle, then close the one I want. Is there a faster way?

- Similarly, is there a way to close the current window in Safari without displaying all the open windows first?

- You know how most Windows apps have a Help feature on their menus? Is there anything like that on the iPad?

- All of the other computers on my home network are Windows. I can't see the iPad on the network, and I don't know how to see the network on the iPad. Can it be done? How can I trade files, or play videos across machines?

- this iPad does not have a 3G connection, so i'm frequently off-line. Is there a version of the iPad Guide that I can download and read later?

I've got more, but i've overstayed my welcome already. Thanks for your help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This iPad 2 is my first Apple device. I've managed to find the answers to most of my questions, but there are still some things I need help with.

- When typing, how do I enter a tab character? Is there a way to Undo without going to the second keyboard?

- I know how to Select a word, or Select All, but is there a fast way to select a line or a sentence? ("faster" than dragging the handles)

- If I want to close the current app (not just switch to something else) I have to press the Home key, then press it twice more to bring up the Recent apps, then hold an icon to make them jiggle, then close the one I want. Is there a faster way?

- Similarly, is there a way to close the current window in Safari without displaying all the open windows first?

- You know how most Windows apps have a Help feature on their menus? Is there anything like that on the iPad?

- All of the other computers on my home network are Windows. I can't see the iPad on the network, and I don't know how to see the network on the iPad. Can it be done? How can I trade files, or play videos across machines?

- this iPad does not have a 3G connection, so i'm frequently off-line. Is there a version of the iPad Guide that I can download and read later?

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

I saw your questions and I'll try and help with one or two of them....

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

I find the on-screen keyboard unsatisfactory for serious typing so I have a Bluetooth keyboard which has all the characters available immediately - including tab, forward and reverse delete and all the symbols too. It's great for touch typists - something the on-screen keyboard simply can't be used for.

There is no easier way to close the apps than going to the multi-task bar but, on the iPad, these tasks consume little or no CPU or other system resource. They're not really running the background like a Windows task but are suspended except for very limited functionality.

There is no Windows-like generic Help function.

When you say you want to close the current Safari window, I know of no other way to do this than minimising it (thus displaying all the other windows) and then closing it from there.

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

1) Use a bluetooth keyboard. That's about the only option.

2) If you use a bluetooth keyboard the Control, Option, and Command keys used with the cursor keys will select text by word, line, paragraph, etc.

3) Most of the time there is no reason to worry about whether an app closed completely. These apps stay in RAM, but other than that use no resources (with the exception of certain background tasks that some apps perform). If the iPad gets short on RAM, it is usually good about closing out the older apps. So, unless you are having problems, just tap the Home button and don't worry about it.

4) No. give us a scenario why you need/want to do this, and maybe there is something else that will do what you need.

5) There is no system wide Help. Of course, Windows system wide help is an illusion too, since only programs that supply the help files get you anything but a generic Windows help. Some apps have a help option, and some (most) don't.

6) You can't. Not the way you are expecting it to work at any rate. Look into the various thread on video streaming, remote control (Splashtop), and file transfers (GoodReader) for options to do similar stuff with the iPad.

7) If you go to the iBooks Store in the iBooks app you can download the iPad User Guide, which has more information than the generic online help site. MacWorld also has a free iPad 2 Starter Guide wich is worth reading through.

OP
S

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

3) Most of the time there is no reason to worry about whether an app closed completely. These apps stay in RAM, but other than that use no resources (with the exception of certain background tasks that some apps perform). If the iPad gets short on RAM, it is usually good about closing out the older apps. So, unless you are having problems, just tap the Home button and don't worry about it.

That's not my issue. You know how every time your spouse uses your iPad, you get it back and see six times as many things open as before? My wife has that problem.

4) No. give us a scenario why you need/want to do this, and maybe there is something else that will do what you need.

Basically, i hate pressing two icons when i'm used to pressing one. Especially when forgetting to close windows could result in some of the windows being closed for me.
5) There is no system wide Help. Of course, Windows system wide help is an illusion too, since only programs that supply the help files get you anything but a generic Windows help. Some apps have a help option, and some (most) don't.

The Windows system may be an illusion, but it's a convenient one. On the iPad I'm constantly wondering how to do stuff. Maybe they figure that it's so easy to use, the apps don't need Help.

7) If you go to the iBooks Store in the iBooks app you can download the iPad User Guide, which has more information than the generic online help site. MacWorld also has a free iPad 2 Starter Guide wich is worth reading through.

I got the guide, thanks. Now if I could only figure out why it locks up Kobo....

Most reactions

Latest posts