What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPad: memory question

Beatlefreek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I recently got the latest iPad (not the one with retina), and am just beginning to explore it.
I want to use the iPad for live performances, with probably nothing more than a drum track (via Garageband app), bass and electric guitar (recorded with real instruments via an interface) and two harmony vocal tracks (also via an interface, of course).
Lead vocal and a second guitar would be played live in accompaniment to the recorded tracks.

Assuming that all songs I intend to record fall into your basic 3 to 4 minute pop song length, on a very rough approximation, how many songs might I be able to put on the iPad before I have to start worrying about using up all the memory?

Thanks

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I have no experience with garageband on the iPad, but if you store song-length audio in lossless format, it would roughly be 60mb per track, so with 5 tracks, you are looking at about 300mb per song, or (with garageband project overhead, very rough estimate) 3 songs per GB.

If you create a single track from the 5 you are using, then you end up with 60MB per song (15/GB) or so.

OP
B

Beatlefreek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
I've got about 55+GB's, so — topping it at 50GB's for the sake of argument — I should have enough room to put about 150 songs on there. And I would want to keep the tracks separate in order to have control over the mix from venue to venue.

Most reactions