What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Photo Kit for iPad is qurky

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried both the USB and the card reader to transfer photos tonight and not really happy about these devices. The readers don't recognize 100% of the time. I had the same issue popping up on both mine and my wives iPad. When i insert either the card reader or the the USB camera adapter the iPads do not recognize necessarily on the first try and sometimes they took two or three tries. I also noted on two transfer events, I ended up with two or three copies of the files i transferred. I had to delete and repeat a few time to get a successful file transfers so we could enjoy some photos. These things are quirky.
I also tried both readers in an iPod and iPhone, both gave non-compatibility errors. I also tried a Microsoft USB head set plugged into the iPad via the USB adapter. I got an error stating headphones not supported, which leads me to think the USB port could support proper iPad devices.:confused::confused:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried both the USB and the card reader to transfer photos tonight and not really happy about these devices. The readers don't recognize 100% of the time. I had the same issue popping up on both mine and my wives iPad. When i insert either the card reader or the the USB camera adapter the iPads do not recognize necessarily on the first try and sometimes they took two or three tries. I also noted on two transfer events, I ended up with two or three copies of the files i transferred. I had to delete and repeat a few time to get a successful file transfers so we could enjoy some photos. These things are quirky.
I also tried both readers in an iPod and iPhone, both gave non-compatibility errors. I also tried a Microsoft USB head set plugged into the iPad via the USB adapter. I got an error stating headphones not supported, which leads me to think the USB port could support proper iPad devices.:confused::confused:
Importing photos and videos
Use the following steps to import media from your digital camera or SD card:

1. Connect the iPad Camera Connector or SD Card Reader to the iPad Dock Connector.
  2. Depending on the connecter your are using, connect your digital camera via USB or insert an SD card.
  3. Photos on iPad will open in the Camera pane, displaying your media and the option to Import All.
  4. Tap "Import All" to import your content, or tap specific items and tap "Import".
  5. When the import is complete, you have the option to Keep or Delete the media on the camera or SD card.
    Note: When using certain digital cameras or SD cards, you may be unable to delete images from the device. In these situations, the "Delete" option will not appear.
If you don't see the Camera pane, try the following:

• Verify your digital camera is on and in the correct mode to export images.
  • Disconnect, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the iPad Camera Connector or SD Card Reader.
  • Unplug the digital camera or SD card, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect.
  • Restart iPad and turn your camera off and then back on.
Note: iPad Camera Connection Kit imports most media files on the camera or SD card, regardless of whether that format is compatible with iPad. If you are unable to view certain images or videos, verify that they are in an iPad compatible format, or import them to your computer for viewing.

Additional Information

For best results and performance:

• Connect the iPad Camera Connector and SD Card Reader directly to the iPad and digital camera.
  • When importing a large amount of content or very large files, the import may stop before it is completed.
    • To avoid this issue, keep the Photos application open during the import process.
    • If the import stops before it is complete, you can start the import again and iPad will pick up from where it left off.
  • iPad Camera Connector only supports digital cameras that are connected directly to the accessory. For more information see this article.
  • If your device is not recognized, verify it is configured correctly. Refer to the user manual for your device for additional information.
    • iPad Camera Connector supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) and Mass Storage Device protocol.
    • iPad SD Card Reader supports SD standards up to SDHC, miniSD and microSD with adapters, and MMC. SDXC is not supported.
  • If you see an alert saying that the "Attached volume appears to be invalid", check to ensure the SD card or digital media in the camera is correctly formatted.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First Looks: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit | iLounge

Resolution: If you’re worried that you’ll be capped to sending out low-quality photos from your iPad, there’s some mostly good news to share. Rather than chopping JPEG pictures down to 800x600 as is done with iPhone photos, the iPad defaults at e-mailing images out at roughly 3-Megapixel resolution: 2048x1536 for typical 4:3 point-and-shoot images, or 2048x1364 for 3:2 DSLR images. EXIF data is stripped for re-sized images. If you select an image manually using the Copy button and Paste it into an e-mail, you can send the full-resolution version out instead, complete with EXIF data.

Videos: The cap on sharing imported videos through e-mails appears to be 5 Megabytes. Photos on the iPad contains the same realtime video trimming capability as the iPhone 3GS, enabling you to chop and resize a video dynamically for e-mailing—the difference is that it can reformat videos that were created by non-Apple cameras. An exported video wound up as a 54-second 5MB 480x360 H.264 file after starting as a 244MB 640x480 file running for 3 minutes and 3 seconds. The file size, length, and resolution will vary based on a number of factors.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad: Using iPad Camera Connector with unsupported USB devices

Apple does not recommend or support using the iPad Camera Connector with devices other than cameras. Combination devices such as USB printers with built-in SD card readers are not supported.
If you encounter an issue trying to connect a digital camera through an unsupported USB device, try the following steps:

1. Disconnect the iPad Camera Connector from iPad.
  2. Disconnect any USB device connected to the iPad Camera Connector.
  3. Restart iPad.
  4. Reconnect the iPad Camera Connector and then connect your digital camera directly to the iPad Camera Connector.

Dallasfoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're lucky to even have a card reader...our apple store here has never seen one...can't get em...and I cancelled the order online after waiting three weeks. Frankly Steve jobs should have put a simple USB port on this puppy. This is a lotta horseshit to go through just for pics.

epoche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have downloaded RAW files from Nikon D90 to Photo ap with virtually no problems. Easy to delete unwanted photos.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad camera connector kit is even more awesome

from The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) by Erica Sadun
Filed under: iPad

92376286.jpg
The iPad. It is awesome. And the iPad camera connector kit is even more awesome. It works with USB keyboards. It works with USB headsets (seriously, I just spent a half hour on the phone with Kyle Kinkade on Skype voice chat that way). And, of course, it does photos. You can import photos from cameras, from SD cards, and even from iPhone OS devices.

But that's not the sum of what most people really want to do with their iPad USB ports. What people want, what they [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=spice+girls+wannabe"]really really want[/ame], is to insert a USB memory stick and read arbitrary files off and write arbitrary files onto that device.

On that end, there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is this. USB drives do mount properly and show up in the system as /dev/disk2s1. Yay. You can even add more drives via a hub. The iPad supports both FAT and HFS+ drives.

The bad news is this. As iPhone developer Dustin Howett discovered, that mount point is sandboxed away from normal developer use. You cannot read from or write to that disk using standard iPhone SDK applications.

Another unnamed developer did a little digging. He discovered that the iPhone supports the same kind of Image Capture Core engine that is used on the Macintosh. Unfortunately, that engine (which is backed by the Mobile Storage Mounter application in Core Services) appears to be limited at this time. The only data that can mount and be read is DCIM folders, and only through the Photos application.

That's not to say that the functionality for reading arbitrary disk storage is not available -- it is -- but it has been blocked off from general use at this time. (Yes, a jailbreak will easily bypass this limit.)

Posting the images mounted notification
com.apple.mobile.images_mounted
Posting a notification that regular storage has been mounted
com.apple.mobile.storage_mounted

This remains in line with Apple's user empowerment policy. Just as the UIImagePickerController can only access pictures that the user selects, just as the UIDocumentInteractionController can only present documents chosen by the user, the USB system (for now) will only offer access to pictures that the user decides to move to the iPad.

Should the demand for a more general shared documents approach be loud enough and strong enough, history has shown that Apple can and does respond to the clamor of the buying public's requests.TUAWiPad hacksugar: More than you wanted (or needed) to know about Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:30:00 EST.

Most reactions