What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from NJ/ Former Windows

jchetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I can't wait to get one in my hands. I am doing research to determine which model is right for me.

I will use my iPad for note taking and organization. I hope to consolidate my college textbooks. Next fall I should be in pharmacy school. So I have one semester to perfect my note taking with the iPad. If anyone has any sites where textbooks are sold in pdf format...please pm me. All the places I see only do rentals which is fine I guess.

Btw, I'm a huge Windows user. I run Windows Home Server w/ a website
for remote access. Apple has always been better- the price has always been a turn off for poor college students. The iPad is a steal and I look forward to moving platforms. Maybe one day I will run a Mac server.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome! Even though Steve Jobs is a jealous mistress, you can still do both. I only recently bought my first Mac for developing iPad and iPhone apps, but all thing equal - I'll stick with Windows, thank you very much :D

OP
J

jchetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! Even though Steve Jobs is a jealous mistress, you can still do both. I only recently bought my first Mac for developing iPad and iPhone apps, but all thing equal - I'll stick with Windows, thank you very much :D

I agree. Each platform has its own advantages. I hope everyone on the site shares the same open-minded mentality.

I have a Lenovo netbook with Linux and Windows. The netbook has been good to me and goes everywhere. I'm really excited about the portable and functional iPad platform.

I hope to show my friends it's more than a big iTouch. Many friends who didn't see the necessity of a netbook now ask me for recommended brands/configurations:D

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, Jchetty

It used to be that Windows users and Apple users were never on speaking terms ;), but with the iPad being what it is, we have convergence!

I'm taking a class at my local university, and the prof chose a book that happened to be offered as an ebook at Amazon. Since I have Kindle/iPad, I was able to buy it and download it. The textbook was a little cheaper than the hard copy (why, I always ask aren't they cheaper?) I did a search on pharmacy in the Kindle store and found all of these text books available:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=pharmacy&sprefix=pharmacy]Amazon.com: pharmacy: Kindle Store[/ame]

As to figuring what size iPad, get the biggest one you can afford. Judging from what you wrote, I would get a 64gig. I would also check in with your school to see if they offer the iPad. My university offered all wifi size versions for US$50 less than retail.

OP
J

jchetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It used to be that Windows users and Apple users were never on speaking terms ;), but with the iPad being what it is, we have convergence!

I'm taking a class at my local university, and the prof chose a book that happened to be offered as an ebook at Amazon. Since I have Kindle/iPad, I was able to buy it and download it. The textbook was a little cheaper than the hard copy (why, I always ask aren't they cheaper?) I did a search on pharmacy in the Kindle store and found all of these text books available:

As to figuring what size iPad, get the biggest one you can afford. Judging from what you wrote, I would get a 64gig. I would also check in with your school to see if they offer the iPad. My university offered all wifi size versions for US$50 less than retail.

That is a great idea to check if my school offers a discount. If I get a $50 discount, the 64 gig is a no brainer:D

I'm looking at either Amazon or Barnes/Noble for ebooks. Course smart has a huge selection of ebooks. I am hesitant to adopt their platform which requires software to read the ebook. I don't want to deal with compatibility issues.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another good reason for the iPad versus

Getting a vendor specific reader like the Kindle or the Nook. You can get all of these bookstores into one iPad! I would wager that there is an app you can get to read Course Smart literature on your iPad.

Seeing the iPad at the campus bookstore was a bit jarring since I could've saved US$50. Oh well!

OP
J

jchetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting a vendor specific reader like the Kindle or the Nook. You can get all of these bookstores into one iPad! I would wager that there is an app you can get to read Course Smart literature on your iPad.

Seeing the iPad at the campus bookstore was a bit jarring since I could've saved US$50. Oh well!

I will use Cengage Learning spdf for the majority of my books. If they do not carry them, I will use either Amazon or Barnes & Noble respectively. My last option will be Course Smart. The special software is a bit of a turn off.

All the places allow you to print using a quota system. I plan to print the parts of the book I use. Then scan them and turn them into pdf files. I won't distribute them. Rather I plan to archive them for reference.

I plan to have an iPad in my hands within 2 weeks. I have heard the rumors of the new one. However classes start Jan 24 and I don't believe I could get one in my hands the week before.

Most reactions

Latest posts