What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iOS 6 Maps Feature Packs Some Amazing Functionality; Includes Siri Integration

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ios6-maps-functions.jpg

Apple's new iOS 6 announcement came with a host of new features. One of the most intriguing ones is their new Maps functionality. As rumored previously, the new Maps functions in iOS 6 will include 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation. However, that's not all! There are a few more juicy tidbits included as well, including full Siri integration. That's right. You will be able to ask Siri for directions and she will direct you where to go. The feature is voice-enabled through Siri, and includes location-based information for drivers with a real-time traffic service. This service will provide incident reports using anonymous location data from iOS users to keep information up to date. Impressive!

Probably the most stunning feature of this Maps service will be Flyover. This feature displays highly-detailed 3D models of famous cities around the world, and they will be accessed directly in the application. Way to take things to the next level literally Apple!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will the Flyover data be stored on the iPad or will it be a streaming service?

G

Grytpype

The novelty of flying around over a few cities will soon wear off; there are probably games that do that better anyway. A gimmick like that doesn't really add useful functionality to a maps app/program.

Instead of getting excited by this relatively useless feature, we need to hear what is going to happen to the Google-based map apps we are using at the moment. Will Apple continue to permit their use, or will these apps be removed as soon as we update to iOS 6?

Having lost the use of one extremely good app last year when Apple spitefully disabled it, I will be looking for crystal-clear reassurance that the Google-based map apps I am using now will continue to work in future before I go anywhere near iOS 6 and the new Apple maps app.

PadMan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All this is great if you need them, What I would be looking for is an improvement to what they have now, Like one button to shut down Apps, App integration and so on.

G

Grytpype

Apple should stop the BS and hype aimed at kiddies who want to pretend they are Superman flying around over the handful of cities with 3D coverage (maybe 0.0001% of the world's surface).

Instead they should tell us:

1. How much will it cost to subscribe to their turn-by-turn feature? TomTom, the developers behind it, don't give it away free.

2. What about Street View? When will the Apple Maps have this feature? In 1 year? 2 years? Ever?

Thanks, but I'll stick with Google Maps.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I had to make a guess, Tom-Tom will just let Apple use their excellent driving directions program for free, but make money on add-ons like traffic updates. As far as it goes, I don't bother with Google since I bought the Tom-Tom navigation program.

G

Grytpype

If I had to make a guess, Tom-Tom will just let Apple use their excellent driving directions program for free, but make money on add-ons like traffic updates. *As far as it goes, I don't bother with Google since I bought the Tom-Tom navigation program.
Maybe it will be the typical 'free' package – a bombardment of annoying adverts unless you pay to make the ads go away. *For an ad-free TomTom package, you would probably have to pay $5+ per month, depending on coverage required. *

A good option might be a proprietary TomTom unit to give directions, complemented by Google Maps on the iPad to give an overview of potential traffic problems along an entire route with possible alternatives where problems are shown.

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
used the new map app and it is terrible to say the least. the only good part is GPS and turn by turn worked well

problem was the maps. the sattelite view of the map have absolutely no details once you zoom in even a moderate amount. everything looks flat and green with random colors signifying some buildings. almost like what google map was when it first started with the satellite view. it took google years to give the current amount of details google maps give. and probably it will take apple even longer to reach that stage. I have never been disappointed with an apple app as this.

Bw53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My "new iPad" is my first Apple product from what see of iOS 6 it will be my last Apple product. I just can't get into this Apple religion. Apple maps appear to be pure garbage when compared to Google with street view. Everyone is raving about Flyover. Lol. Useless junk

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My "new iPad" is my first Apple product from what see of iOS 6 it will be my last Apple product. I just can't get into this Apple religion. Apple maps appear to be pure garbage when compared to Google with street view. Everyone is raving about Flyover. Lol. Useless junk

Just switch to Android. The Apple universe is not right for everyone.

Apple and Google are at war, and if you need tight Google integration into your world, stick with a Google platform.

It's that simple.

Personally, I've never used Street View, and the new maps application serves my needs just fine. Nothing missing for me.

simonnewbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jadeiteinnovation.com
Flyover - Sensational Innovation for IOS 6

As an adventurer and explorer and assuming the flyover is not limited to cities in the same mold and functionality of of Google Earth then I believe this would be phenomenal feature set which I look forward to exploring in full. To have flyover as a resource for adventure planning is a wonderful asset and safety aid in areas and countries less familiar. From what i have seen at the Dev Conference and on you tube the upgrade in functionality, eye recognition and speed will be a tremendous demonstration of innovation by Apple which I am looking forward to exploring in a real world scenario.

Simon
NEW IPAD - PERFECT FOR ADVENTURE
Double Guinness Endurance Champion of the world 2012

G

Grytpype

assuming the flyover is not limited to cities...I believe this would be phenomenal feature set which I am looking forward to exploring in a real world scenario
Unfortunately for you, it IS limited to cities – and only a few of them, at that. I think you'll find they have already been fully explored.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shalamerylei said:
On June 11, 2012, Apple WWDC was held in Moscone center of Sanfrancisco, in USA. Apple released the new OSX Mountaion Lion system, and upgraded MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro. The most important is, Apple showed the new iOS 6 for iPad, iPhone and iPod. iOS 6 will be available for users in this Fall. Then what are the new features of iOS 6? Here, you can get the answer.1. New features for China
2. New Map app
3. More understanding Siri
4. New photo sharing feature
5. Passbook
6. FaceTime supports 3G
7. Humanized phone function8. More streamlined mail interface

Sounds good to me

Most reactions