What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new guy

skiax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new guy who just bought an ipad2 yesterday for my wifes' bday. I'm spending the weekend making the transition seamless for her. A lot of work for me. Please be patient because there seems to be something fundamental I'm not grasping.
Thanks In Advance,
Jim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome.

Having read at least one other post, I'd say your fundamental misunderstanding is that you expect the iPad to have a file system just like a desktop computer. It does not. Instead each app has it's own isolated file folder system.

The biggest impact of this is how you approach documents. Instead of finding a file and then opening it with an application, you open the application and then import or export files. The iPad being a rather new beast all the kinks have yet to be worked out of this approach, so some apps are very good at this, and others are dismal failures.

GoodReader is a good app to get. In many cases it can act as a go-between for other less talented applications. You can use it to move apps easily on and off the iPad by several methods. Files in GoodReader can be Opened In compatible apps, and GoodReader itself will often show up as an Open In option in other apps.

Don't worry, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
will Goodreader allow me to upload files to websites from my browser?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Rarely.

I'm going to ramble on here a bit about the whys and a bad workarounds. If you are looking for a good solution you might as well skip it.

If the web site depends on a Choose File button, the answer is no. GoodReader depends on the same basic web engines as other apps, and this is not supported. Mostly because there is no file system to browse. Apparently Apple did not anticipate an app creating it's own file system.

If by chance it has a URL options (like the this forum) you can sometimes manage a two step process by moving the file to a cloud service and then copy pasting the URL to the site.

Most of the time (like in this forum) you need a full URL, not a short cut or share link. The site wants to know the file type, and those type links most often hide that.

You don't particular need GoodReader for the URL part, but it does come in handy for accessing a variety of cloud servers.

BTW, iDisk is the only service I can do this with, and I have to be tricky to do that. The share link, as I mentioned, does not work. Instead I have to keep a copy of the html path to my public folder in a note, and modify it to point at the actual file.

Most reactions