What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Desktop PC

Mr. Ected

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I need some help.

My old pc recently died. I think it was an electrical problem, even though it was plugged into a surge protector. (I will be getting a new, more substantial one.) I tried to fix it by replacing the power supply and then the cooling fan for the processor. This didn't solve the problem, and rather than sink a whole bunch of $$$ into an older (5-6 years) machine I figured this was an excuse to get a new one and move closer to current. ;->

I do not need a full new machine. I have a 32 bit Win7, and am thinking of upgrading to Win7 pro at Amazon.com ($69) if I get a machine that warrants it. I have close to 2tb of HDD over three drives so I do not need a huge drive (but won't turn one away) I do not do tons of graphic intensive gaming, so I am not sure what kind of processor I need (dual or quad core). One of the main purposes of the machine will be to act as home "server." There will be a shared printer attached to it, and I plan to use it for DLNA if it is fast enough or I will attach a drive to a router. I also use my iPad to control it remotely. On my old machine, this was too slow, but that was the PC's fault.

I'd like to spend <$500 and think I can get away with something in the $3-400 range, without an OS. Here (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot 01a-_-CatId_31_B69-0328) is one...causing a question of what is the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 memory, and would I even notice the difference? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, TIA,

Most reactions

Latest posts