What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Apple Patent Reveals More Details on Possible iPad/iPhone Stylus

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Stylus-patent-3.jpg

Despite Steve Jobs' famous quote that "Nobody wants a stylus!" it appears that Apple might be considering one for the iPad or iPhone. A new patent was recently filed by the Cupertino company which is obviously a stylus variant. Apple's vision for a stylus seems to go well beyond the norm. It includes an extendable nib. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Unlike current styli, Apple's invention notes that the conductive nib may have variable interaction surface dimensions dictated by length. For example, a nib can have a limited interaction surface when set to a position close to the stylus chassis for drawing thin lines. By extending the nib outside of the stylus' body, it will be able to interact with a screen at more than one touch node.

In one embodiment, the nib is flexible, meaning the further it extends away from the chassis, the less rigid it becomes. This can be useful in delivering multiple "feels," like a pen or paintbrush.

The more a nib is exposed, the more nodes it can touch on its "sides." In such scenarios when the stylus activates more than one touch node on a multitouch screen, a different input may be registered with the tablet's GUI. A basic example is a resulting thicker line, though the input's formatting can also change, making changes like output color, opacity and more.

Moving to the nib itself, Apple envisions the piece to be made out of a conductive material like metal, doped rubber or mylar. The main function of the part is to be at least partially flexible so as to allow for slight deformation when writing or drawing.

When a user wishes to extend the nib out of the stylus body, they can use an actuator or switch mechanism integrated within the chassis. For example, a slider, button or twist cap can extend or retract the flexible nib.

It's an intriguing idea, but it's also possible we won't actually see it for a long while, if ever. There were rumors that they were planning it to go along with their iPad Pro 12-inch tablet, but that project has likely be shelved for the foreseeable future. What do you think? Would you want an Apple branded super-stylus over the options available today?

Source: AppleInsider

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Steve Jobs would not have liked this idea. But this idea may be genius. Basically people won't be looking fir anymore stylus anymore. They will just have to buy straight from the apple store. This will help apple earn more cash.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have two stylus's that are just fine. I would. It pay the bucks that I am ASSUMING Apple will want for their stylus. However, I am thinking that it would depend on what people use their iPads for. If you are an artist, I would think it might be helpful and worth it. Again, just like apps, an accessory is only worth what the user needs, and each value is dependent upon that.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have two stylus's that are just fine. I would. It pay the bucks that I am ASSUMING Apple will want for their stylus. However, I am thinking that it would depend on what people use their iPads for. If you are an artist, I would think it might be helpful and worth it. Again, just like apps, an accessory is only worth what the user needs, and each value is dependent upon that.

From above, "I would. It pay the bucks" should have been "I would not pay the bucks..."

I never seem to spot the errors until after posted and I could not edit this post. Seriously, I am a very fast accurate typist on a keyboard, just terrible on an iPad/iPhone. Not meant to start a discussion.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score

"...I would. It pay the bucks" should have been "I would not pay the bucks..."

I never spot the errors until after posting. Seriously, I am fast and accurate on a keyboard, but terrible in an iPad or iPhone. Not meant to start a toying discussion.

Most reactions